The arrival of Dell's young orphaned daughter, Betsey, stirs up the emotions of everyone in the practice. Pete and Amelia disagree over a risky surgery to treat a woman who has been experiencing chronic and insufferable pain throughout her pregnancy.
Episode in detail.
- Kate Walsh as Dr. Addison Montgomery
- Tim Daly as Dr. Pete Wilder
- Audra McDonald as Dr. Naomi Bennett (credit only)
- Paul Adelstein as Dr. Cooper Freedman
- KaDee Strickland as Dr. Charlotte King
- Brian Benben as Dr. Sheldon Wallace
- Caterina Scorsone as Dr. Amelia Shepherd
- Taye Diggs as Dr. Sam Bennett
- Amy Brenneman as Dr. Violet Turner
- Romy Rosemont as Jackie
- Rupak Ginn as Steven Stone
- Mei Melancon as Elena Stone
- Benjamin Bryan as Kenny
- Hailey Sole as Betsey
- Angela Pierce as Monica
- J. René Peña as Gladys
- Heidi Strickler as E.R. Nurse
- Rhonda Marie as Nurse
- Chronic pain
- Chiari malformation
- Posterior fossa decompression
Elena, 33, was 22 weeks pregnant and in a lot of pain. She came into the ER. She'd had chronic pain for the past five years and was worried that she was having a miscarriage. None of her doctors had been able to find the cause of the pain. Addison did an ultrasound and said the baby was fine. Pete suspected she had fibromyalgia but between the pregnancy preventing the use of pain meds and needing immediate relief, they didn't have time to try alternative medicines. The pain got worse and Elena was desperate for options. She said if they couldn't reduce her pain, she wouldn't be able to have the baby. When Amelia heard Pete and Addison discussing the case, she asked if Elena had trouble breathing and swallowing, which she did. Amelia told them to order an MRI. The MRI revealed a chiari malformation, which Amelia said she could fix with surgery. Pete objected, saying he could use alternative methods to reduce her pain at least until the end of her pregnancy. Elena decided she wanted the surgery. The surgery went well and the baby was fine. She woke up and had a headache, but otherwise, wasn't in pain.
- Stab wounds
- Talk therapy
Kenny, 14, refused to poop in a cup to diagnose his stomach pains and Cooper suggested that he just tell the truth, because he knew Kenny was lying. Kenny admitted that he was being bullied at school. Cooper told his mom there was a bug going around and to keep him home for the rest of the day. She came in with him angry the next day because he'd brought a knife to school. Sheldon approached her and offered to speak to him about why he armed himself before going to school. In a session with Sheldon, he admitted that the kids at school had kicked him until he took off his anime shirt. He said that he wanted to stay at one school long enough to find people like him. He'd changed schools six times in four years. They talked to his mother about it and she said that Kenny's just a wimp and she hates that she raised a kid who's a wimp. Kenny then tried to kill himself by stabbing himself in the stomach. He agreed to continue seeing Sheldon, but asked his mom not to make him switch schools again.
|"Holding On"||David Gray||
|"Severus and Stone"||Radical Face||
|"The Shame"||Alex Cornish||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode scored 8.07 million viewers.
- In the beginning outer-shots of L.A., there was a Harry Potter billboard.
- Amelia: Yep, I'm brilliant. Get used to it.
- Charlotte: A thousand things about you make me wanna pull my hair out, but you caring too much is not one of them. I'm not getting laid, am I?
- Cooper: Were you a Kenny growing up? Smart, but kind of different, couldn't really find your place?
- Sheldon: Actually, I bedded the prom queen. Three years running, and the last one's sister, too.
- Cooper: Okay.
- Sheldon: But I'm assuming you were.
- Sam: Dell used to make me crazy. But the thing is, he was there for Maya. He died taking care of my child.
- Violet: We did a bad thing. You all know it. We did a bad thing.
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Private Practice Season 4|
|#01||"Take Two"||#09||"Can't Find My Way Back Home"||#17||"A Step Too Far"|
|#02||"Short Cuts"||#10||"Just Lose It"||#18||"The Hardest Part"|
|#03||"Playing God"||#11||"If You Don't Know Me By Now"||#19||"What We Have Here..."|
|#04||"A Better Place to Be"||#12||"Heaven Can Wait"||#20||"Something Old, Something New"|
|#05||"In or Out"||#13||"Blind Love"||#21||"God Bless the Child"|
|#06||"All in the Family"||#14||"Home Again"||#22||"...To Change the Things I Can"|
|#07||"Did You Hear What Happened to Charlotte King?"||#15||"Two Steps Back"|
|#08||"What Happens Next"||#16||"Love and Lies"|
|<< Season 3||Season 5 >>|