The chief of staff in a hospital is the primary leader of all departments and staff, including departments that have heads as well, such as, leadership over chief of surgery, head of obstetrics, head of orthopedics, etc. as departments that each are headed by a leader in that specialty. The chief of staff is inevitably a doctor, specifically an attending physician or attending surgeon, as opposed to the chief administrator, who is often a non-medical professional.
Known Chiefs of StaffEdit
- Dr. Charlotte King (Chief of Staff, Attending Urologist at St. Ambrose Hospital)
- Dr. Teddy Altman (Chief of Staff, United States Army Medical Command)
- Dr. Cristina Yang (Chief Medical Officer at Klausman Institute for Medical Research)
- Dr. Preston Burke (former Chief Medical Officer at Klausman Institute for Medical Research)
Notes and TriviaEdit
- Charlotte King is the youngest chief of staff in the country.
- Charlotte King has "Chief of Staff" embroidered on her lab coat.
- Dr. Ellis Grey, in addition to being the chief surgeon at Seattle Grace Hospital, is the chief of staff during If/Then.