Hospital codes are codes used in hospitals to alert staff to various emergencies. The use of codes is intended to convey essential information quickly and with minimal misunderstanding to staff, while preventing stress and panic among the visitors to the hospital.
The meaning of a specific color code can vary from one hospital to another hospital. At this page, the meanings of the codes at Seattle Grace Hospital (and the hospitals later established in the building) and St. Ambrose Hospital are listed.
Code black means that there is a bomb inside the hospital.
- It's the End of the World: Code black was only called once at Seattle Grace Hospital when a patient was admitted with a self-made, unexploded bomb inside his body which later exploded.
Code blue indicates that a patient requires resuscitation or is otherwise in need of immediate medical attention, most often as the result of a respiratory or cardiac arrest.
- Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer: After getting a heart transplant, Justin Davidson goes into cardiac arrest, but Cristina Yang was sucessfully able to resuscitate him.
- Superstition: Nikki Ratlin , a 30 year old female came to the hospital after she claimed lightning struck her. We later find out she was in the tree when lightning struck it. She had a severe spleen laceration, but her superstitions led her to refuse surgery. Meredith Grey was just about to convince her to go into surgery when her spleen started bleeding out, and despite efforts to save her, she dies.
- Oh, the Guilt: Sonya Cowlman came in with a foreign body stuck inside of her. The object was her ex-husband, who had a penile piercing that was hooked on to Sonya's IUD. When Cristina Yang and Meredith Grey were trying to get them off of each other, Adam Morris, her ex-husband, had a heart attack because his aorta dissected. Luckily, they were able to get his aorta fixed, and he was expected to make a full recovery.
- Some Kind of Miracle: After a ferry crash sends a bunch of injuries to Seattle Grace Hospital, Ellis Grey has a Code Blue, whilst her daughter Meredith Grey is still having hypothermia. Derek Shepherd, along with other nurses, try to bring her back, but she ends up dead.
Code pink is called when a child or infant has gone missing. After this code is called, all entrances and exits of the hospital are locked or guarded until the entire hospital has been searched.
- The Girl with No Name: Bailey ordered a nurse to call code pink when her son was missing from daycare, though the code was called off when Tuck reappeared. It turned out a nurse took him away briefly to take care of his nosebleed.
- You Don't Know What You've Got Till It's Gone: a code pink was called when Sarah Nelson disappeared from the St. Ambrose Hospital ER.
- There's a Fine, Fine Line: Alex pressured Bailey to call a Code Pink when Gage Dean, who was involved in a custody battle, disappeared within the hospital.
Code Red is called when there is a fire in the hospital.
- Something to Talk About: During a CABG, the patient's heart spontaneously caught on fire.
Code Yellow is called when there is a large disaster, and many people are injured and coming to the hospital.
- You Haven't Done Nothin': An apartment building collapsed, which sent dozens of injured people to Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital.
Code Orange is a code relating to a staff member being in danger.
Code Violet is called when someone is being violent towards the hospital staff.
- Give a Little Bit: Called when Andrew had a confrontation with Opal over his perception that she was a human trafficker.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- While personnel should know the codes by heart, the interns weren't aware of the meaning of code black.