|“||There's an invisible line in the OR. You scrub, you gown, you glove, and you approach the sterile field. It's an important boundary. It's there to protect the patient and you. Without that line, about a million things can go wrong. Funny that something so important is completely invisible. There's a reason so many babies' first word is "no." It's because it's the word they hear the most. From the second we're born, we want to cross the line, push the boundaries, test the limits. But then we grow up and learn that not all rules are bad. Some boundaries protect us. Some lines keep us safe. The nice thing about being an adult is we can choose for ourselves. We can screw the rules or we can make our own.||”|
A sea of patients flood the hospital after gunfire goes off at a parade. A blast from the past throws Maggie off her game on the same day that Meredith tries to talk to her about dating DeLuca. Meanwhile, Owen and Amelia get some potentially life-altering news about Betty.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery
- Caterina Scorsone as Dr. Amelia Shepherd
- Camilla Luddington as Dr. Jo Karev
- Kelly McCreary as Dr. Maggie Pierce
- Giacomo Gianniotti as Dr. Andrew DeLuca
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman
- Tim Reid as Julian
- Greg Germann as Dr. Thomas Koracick
- Margaret Avery as Lucille Reid
- Billy Boyd as Seamus Anderson
- Kyle Secor as John Dickinson
- Richard Cox as Marvin
- Jake Borelli as Dr. Levi Schmitt
- Jenica Bergere as Dr. Kimberly Thompson
- Jaicy Elliot as Dr. Taryn Helm
- Sophia Ali as Dr. Dahlia Qadri
- Alex Blue Davis as Dr. Casey Parker
- Jennifer Grey as Carol Dickinson
- Luke Ashlocke as Pete
- Riley Thomas Stewart as Colin Anderson
- Kevin J. Clarke as Paramedic Kevin Clarke
- Bicuspid aortic valve
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm
- Aortic grafting
Kimberly, 43, came to the hospital. She had a bicuspid aortic valve and thoracic aortic aneurysm. She had had a repair with the Elephant Trunk technique five years prior, but the graft had given out, so she needed an aortic graft replacement, which was much more difficult than the first time. Meredith suggested putting the stent in from below. Maggie said they could possibly send the graft up through the groin, but she'd need someone else to do it because she'd need to be at the heart to connect it. Meredith offered to scrub in to help. Maggie opened her chest and put her on bypass, then the graft was threaded up and placed. She survived her surgery.
- Gunshot wound
- Broken metacarpals
- Chest tube
- Surgical repair
Colin, 15, had been shot while walking in a parade. The bullet went through his hand into his chest. They put in a chest tube, which pulled out a lot of blood. His fingers were broken, but there was good blood flow to his hand. The bullet was lodged in his chest. They took him into surgery, where they started repairing his chest. Jackson did an ultrasound of his hand which showed that there was no nerve function, so he stepped in immediately to start work on it. After his surgery was complete, his father was told he'd be okay. They had had to remove a portion of one lung, but he'd compensate after some rehab. They also put pins in his hand to repair the fractures.
- Head lac
Lucille, 71, had fallen at home and was in for a syncopal work-up. It was clear, so she was about to be sent home when her boyfriend mentioned dizziness. Teddy ordered a CT angio and a neuro consult. They found stenosis and an aneurysm. They scheduled surgery to have Teddy fix the stenosis while Tom repaired the aneurysm. She was awake and stable afterward.
Mr. Dyson had just had surgery. Dahlia gave report to Meredith about what they'd do for post-op monitoring.
|"Never Gonna Catch Me"||Las Palmas||
|"Life on Earth"||Snow Patrol||
|"Superposition"||Young The Giant||
Notes and TriviaEdit
- This episode's title originated from the song I Walk the Line, originally sung by Johnny Cash.
- This episode scored 6.58 million viewers.
- As of this episode, all actors portraying the recurring interns are credited as guest stars. Up until this episode, Jaicy Elliot and Alex Blue Davis were credited as co-stars.
- Writer Jason Ganzel appears at the barista who serves Meredith and Andrew's coffees in the beginning of the episode.
- Editor Chad Mochrie appears as a member of the Scottish pipe band.
Behind the ScenesEdit
A complete overview of this episode's crew can be found here.
|Grey's Anatomy Season 15|
|#01||"With a Wonder and a Wild Desire"||#10||"Help, I'm Alive"||#19||"Silent All These Years"|
|#02||"Broken Together"||#11||"The Winner Takes It All"||#20||"The Whole Package"|
|#03||"Gut Feeling"||#12||"Girlfriend in a Coma"||#21||"Good Shepherd"|
|#04||"Momma Knows Best"||#13||"I Walk the Line"||#22||"Head Over High Heels"|
|#05||"Everyday Angel"||#14||"I Want a New Drug"||#23||"What I Did for Love"|
|#06||"Flowers Grow Out of My Grave"||#15||"We Didn't Start the Fire"||#24||"Drawn to the Blood"|
|#07||"Anybody Have a Map?"||#16||"Blood and Water"||#25||"Jump Into the Fog"|
|#08||"Blowin' in the Wind"||#17||"And Dream of Sheep"|
|#09||"Shelter from the Storm"||#18||"Add It Up"|
|<< Season 14||Season 16 >>|