An operating room (or theatre) is where surgeons perform surgery. Many types of surgery can take place there and sometimes more than one surgery takes place at the same time. Before operating in an OR, you must first wash your hands in the scrub room.
Surgeons and scrub nurses are the main people in the ORs, but other doctors are also present such as anesthesiologists and other people like perfusionists.
Except in unexpected emergencies, surgeries are first written on the OR board under the headings Order(time), duration. patient, procedure and anest.
Some operating rooms (but not all) have galleries where other doctors can look at the surgery without being in the way. No non-medical personnel can be there, though a few characters have snuck their partners and children into the gallery.
Notes and Trivia
- James Pickens, Jr. conducted a tour of SGH during season two.
- OR 2 was added to the set in season two.
- Doctors must scrub for four minutes to be sterile. (Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital protocol)
- All of the equipment in OR 1 is authentic.
- The crew bought an actual MRI machine. MRI machines typically cost between 1 and 2 million dollars.
- Ellis Grey's ashes were filtered down the scrub sink for OR 2.