Sara was born in Mazatlán, Sinaloa, Mexico to parents of Mexican and Irish-American descent. At 8 years old, their parents divorced and they went to live with their mother in Tierrasanta, San Diego, California. They had an interest in music, which caught their mother's attention and was sent to San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts. When they were in high school, they started to act in stage productions produced by the school. They graduated from Juilliard School with a Bachelor's of Fine Arts (Dramatics).
In an interview in 2011, they revealed they have suffered from severe depression. At one point, they could barely get themself out of bed to film Grey's Anatomy.
On June 17, 2011, Ramirez and longtime partner, Ryan Debolt, a business analyst at TIMEC, got engaged in Paris, France. They were married on July 4, 2012 in a private beachside ceremony in New York. In July 2021, Sara announced that they and Ryan had separated.
They are also an activist for LGBT rights and came out as bisexual and queer during a speech at the #40ToNone Summit on October 8, 2016. They were awarded the Ally for Equality Award by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation in 2015.
In August 2020, they came out as non-binary.
- Cisma (Schism) (short) (2011)
- Monty Python's Spamalot (2005)
- Going Under (2004)
- Naked Hotel (2003)
- Chicago (2002)
- Baseball Wives (2002)
- Washington Heights (2002)
- Spider-Man (2002)
- Star Patrol! (2000)
- You've Got Mail (1998)
- And Just Like That... (mini-series) (2021)
- Vampirina (short) (2019)
- Madam Secretary (2017-2019)
- Sofia the First (2012-2018)
- Elena of Avalor (2016)
- Grey's Anatomy (2006-2016)
- Dora the Explorer (2014)
- NYPD Blue (2004)
- As the World Turns (2003)
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (2000-2002)
- Welcome to New York (2000)
- Third Watch (2000)
- Spin City (2000)
Notes and Trivia
- They are fluent in English and Spanish.
- They were the cover girl for the March 2011 issue of Latina Magazine.