|Grey's Anatomy Seasons|
The tenth season of Grey's Anatomy premiered September 26, 2013 with a two-hour premiere and ended on May 15, 2014. It was broadcast on Thursday nights at 9 PM on ABC. The season consists of 24 episodes which aired in 2 uninterrupted blocks of 12 episodes each.
The storm may have passed, but now the relationships and romance of Grey Sloan Memorial must survive in its wake. Bonds are tested, love is lost and the hospital bids farewell to Dr. Cristina Yang. Following a massive mudslide, the hospital becomes a madhouse, and the lives of two doctors hang in the balance. The drama escalates as Arizona tries desperately to mend her broken marriage, while Derek and Meredith juggle their roles as surgeons and new parents. Meanwhile, a stunning betrayal pits Cristina against Meredith and, as April prepares for her big day, a familiar face returns to town. Big secrets lead to big problems and turn best friends into rivals.
- During the superstorm, Bailey tells Shane to go find Webber, but he tells Heather to find Webber so he can do scans for Derek. She finds him unconscious in the basement, but gets electrocuted herself. As she falls down, she heavily bumps her head. Shane later finds Heather and Richard, but Heather dies during surgery performed by Derek.
- Callie decides to take a break from her marriage and temporarily moves in with Derek and Meredith, where she helps them take care of their newborn son. Arizona wants to repair her relationship by going to couples therapy, but Callie leaves her at the therapist's office, telling her to follow therapy on her own for while. Arizona starts sleeping with Leah Murphy, but she and Callie get back together when Callie realizes during a malpractice lawsuit that everyone makes mistakes.
- Cristina and Owen continue to have sex after their break-up, as they're still attracted to each other. To make for a clean break, they decide to both start dating other people. While Owen starts dating Dr. Emma Marling, Cristina ends up being all alone as her friendship with Meredith is tested by a series of arguments.
- Jimmy Evans, Alex's drug addict father, shows up as a patient and Jo, with whom Alex is developing a relationship, urges Alex to talk to him. Alex does so, but this leads to him punching his father, which makes him feel worse than he ever thought possible. He blames Jo, but they reconcile after she apologizes for having made a mistake. When Jimmy shows up a second time, Jo insists on helping him get clean but after Jimmy attacks her Alex steps in.
- While Richard recovers from his severe injuries, Bailey starts struggling with OCD due the infection problem when Ben returns to Seattle, having quit his job, and when Richard fires her from his case. As soon as Richard is discharged, he manages to convince Bailey that she has a disease, for which she needs to take meds to handle it.
- Shane feels guilty over Heather's death. Together with the other interns, he studies for and passes the intern exam. He takes on an enormous workload, assisting Cristina with her newfound conduit trial and even starting to service her sexually. Stephanie meanwhile assists Meredith on her own surgical trial, while Callie and Derek team up as well to start a trial to to construct thought-control prosthetics.
- April decides to marry Matthew as Jackson tells her he's not interested in her anymore. She passes her boards and starts preparing her wedding after. As Jackson claims to have a serious relationship with Stephanie now, he and Matthew become friends.
- On the day of April's wedding, Richard starts operating again. Just in time, as Shane suffers from a mental breakdown in the OR after months of guilt over Heather's death. Meanwhile, Derek receives a call from the POTUS and Meredith and Cristina make up after weeks of fighting. Arizona realizes that she wants Callie to stop trying to fix her, as she's finally happy again the way she is now. While everyone at the wedding witnesses Jackson standing up to confess his love for April, Richard tries his very best to save Alex's father, who was on Shane's table.
- Derek and Callie have a lot of success with their project to construct thought-control prosthetitcs, having the President of the United States show interest and call Derek.
- Meredith and Cristina resolve their issues, but agree they're growing apart.
- Jackson and April get married.
- Ben Warren becomes a general surgery resident at the hospital, filling the empty place left by Heather Brooks upon her death.
- Leah makes a complaint to HR resulting in a non-fraternization policy being enacted.
- Cristina treats three young siblings who all have cardiomyopathy.
- Cristina is nominated for a Harper Avery Award, but does not win due to the hospital's involvement with the Harper Avery Foundation. To get away from all the buzz, she travels to Switzerland to give a presentation about her work. There, she meets Preston Burke, who's the owner of the hospital, and offers her his job. She takes it and subsequently leaves Seattle.
- Alex decides to join a private practice, and hands in his notice at Grey Sloan Memorial. He does have hospital privileges, so he ends up working with his colleagues quite often.
- Jackson and April find out they're expecting their first baby. Meanwhile, Callie and Arizona decide to try to have another child.
- Amelia arrives in Seattle after James proposes to her.
- Bailey gives SCID patient Braden Morris an experimental treatment against his parents wishes.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey (24/24)
- Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang (24/24)
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev (24/24)
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey (24/24)
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber (24/24)
- Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres (24/24)
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt (24/24)
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins (24/24)
- Sarah Drew as Dr. April Kepner (24/24)
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery (23/24)
- Camilla Luddington as Dr. Jo Wilson (24/24)
- Gaius Charles as Dr. Shane Ross (24/24)
- Jerrika Hinton as Dr. Stephanie Edwards (24/24)
- Tessa Ferrer as Dr. Leah Murphy (23/24)
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd (24/24)
Recurring Guest Stars
(*one voice-only appearance)
Prominent Guest Stars
- Mary Pat Gleason as Marge Walker
- Illeana Douglas as Dr. Alma
- Valerie Mahaffey as Donna Kaufman
- Alyson Reed as Anne
- Lainie Kazan as C.J.
- Keke Palmer as Sheryll Jeffries
Notes and Trivia
- All series originals signed a two-year contract with ABC for a ninth and tenth season.
- Although Grey's Anatomy was only officially renewed on May 10, Shonda Rhimes stated that the writers had been working on the tenth season since May 1.
- The season is aired in two uninterrupted runs of twelve episodes each, introducing the mid-season finale.
- Camilla Luddington, Gaius Charles, Jerrika Hinton, and Tessa Ferrer were promoted to main cast. They were all recurring guest stars in the previous season. Gaius Charles and Tessa Ferrer's contracts were not re-upped for the next season.
- The tenth season has 15 regular cast members, the second largest number of main characters in the show's history. It's also noteworthy that out of all the 24 main characters (those of season 11 included), only 6 did not appear in this season.
- This season is the very first in the show's history in which there is no episode that gained 10 million viewers.
- Filming for this season started on July 16, 2013 and wrapped on April 24, 2014.
- A wrap party was held on April 29, 2014.
- This season features the 200th episode of Grey's Anatomy, which is the fourth one of this season.
- Shonda Rhimes stated in an interview that she would not be approaching season 10 as last of Grey's.
- The tenth season is the last one to feature Sandra Oh as a main cast member. In the season finale, Sandra left the show, though she stated she'd like to come back for the series finale.
- All the main characters appeared in every episode, except for Jackson Avery and Leah Murphy, who both didn't appear in one episode.
- Shonda Rhimes revealed on her Twitter page that she would be writing an episode this season. However, she ultimately decided to write most of the Cristina scenes rather than taking credit for a whole episode.
- Starting with You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, all songs featured in episodes are covers of '80s songs till the end of the season. The only exception was the use of Where Does the Good Go? by Tegan and Sara in the finale.
- The trailers for the last four episodes were all subtitled Farewell to Cristina.
- Meredith Grey narrates only 18 episodes this season, a record shared with season six.
- The table read for the finale took place on April 8, 2014. It was the last table read for Sandra Oh, Tessa Ferrer, Gaius Charles, Tony Phelan, Joan Rater, and several other crew members.
- Because Tony and Joan left after this season, it's the last season to feature them as showrunners, which they had been since season eight.
- Despite the fact that there were a total of 27 Emmy nomination submissions for this season, there were no nominations for the show.
- The show itself was submitted in the Drama Series category.
- Ellen Pompeo submitted herself to be nominated in the Lead Actress category.
- Kevin McKidd did so for the Lead Actor category.
- Sandra Oh, Chandra Wilson, Sara Ramírez, Jessica Capshaw, and Sarah Drew submitted themselves for the Supporting Actress group.
- Patrick Dempsey, James Pickens, Jr., Justin Chambers, and Jesse Williams did so for the Supporting Actor category.
- Isaiah Washington, Jason George, Debbie Allen, James Remar, Rebecca Field, and Jay Cramer submitted themselves for the Guest Actor/Actress category.
- Four directors also submitted themselves in the directing category: Chandra Wilson for Do You Know?, Kevin McKidd for the episode I'm Winning, Tony Phelan for Get Up, Stand Up, and finally Rob Corn for We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.
- Three writers submitted themselves in the writing category: Stacy McKee for the episode Do You Know?, Joan Rater for We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, and William Harper for Fear (of the Unknown).
- The makeup department tries their luck in the makeup category for Robert Fischer, the cat man, in the episode Take It Back.
- The sound mixers submitted for their work in the mid-season finale, Get Up, Stand Up.
- Shonda Rhimes wrote the final scene between Meredith Grey and Cristina Yang.
|No. in series||No. in season||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|197||1||"Seal Our Fate"||Rob Corn||Joan Rater||September 26, 2013|
|The Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital doctors are faced with the devastation left by the storm. A giant mudslide in Seattle injures a group of first responders and citizens, causing the already shorthanded ER to spring into action. Meanwhile, Meredith is faced with a tough decision that will affect the life of a loved one, Callie is rocked by the reality of Arizona’s infidelity, and Richard’s life is in extreme danger.|
|198||2||"I Want You With Me"||Chandra Wilson||Debora Cahn||September 26, 2013|
|The fight continues to save those affected by the storm, Callie makes a bold decision regarding her relationship, and the doctors come together upon receiving devastating news.|
|199||3||"Everybody's Crying Mercy"||Tony Phelan||Tia Napolitano||October 3, 2013|
|Meredith and Derek adjust to life at home with a newborn, but find it difficult being away from the hospital. Arizona tries to takes steps to fix her broken marriage. Alex and Jo navigate through their new relationship. Owen clashes with Jackson over financial issues at the hospital. Meanwhile, April anxiously awaits her boards results.|
|200||4||"Puttin' on the Ritz"||Rob Corn||Austin Guzman||October 10, 2013|
|The doctors of Grey Sloan Memorial throw a fundraising gala which turns wildly competitive after Jackson makes a rash promise. Back at the hospital, Bailey’s patience is tested when she has to deal with several extremely difficult patients. Meanwhile, Shane and Stephanie handle an incredibly busy ER by themselves and Alex reveals an emotional secret to Jo.|
|201||5||"I Bet It Stung"||Mark Jackson||Jeannine Renshaw||October 17, 2013|
|Meredith jumps back into work but finds it hard to excel at both motherhood and being a surgeon. Stephanie tries to make a good impression on Jackson's mom, and Jo finds herself overly involved with her new patient. Meanwhile, Callie and Owen deal with an emotional situation regarding a patient.|
|202||6||"Map of You"||David Greenspan||William Harper||October 24, 2013|
|Derek and Callie work on a brain mapping project. Richard encourages the interns to use his physical condition as a learning tool and after a discussion with Callie, Meredith considers continuing her mother’s research. Meanwhile, Shane continues to feel guilty about Heather’s death.|
|203||7||"Thriller"||Cherie Nowlan||Gabriel Llanas||October 31, 2013|
|It's Halloween and the doctors of Grey Sloan Memorial are hit with a barrage of spooky patients, which affects their own plans and puts one doctor’s well-being in jeopardy. Meanwhile, Derek collaborates with Ben on a new surgical technique and Richard angers Bailey when he asks a second year resident to perform his next surgery.|
|204||8||"Two Against One"||Kevin McKidd||Meg Marinis||November 7, 2013|
|The issues between Meredith and Cristina hit a boiling point when one of them ultimately betrays the other at the hospital. Derek tells Jackson that he needs to let go and allow the second year doctors to work on his patients and April and Matthew make a bold decision about their relationship. Meanwhile, Bailey has difficulties with Ben’s return.|
|205||9||"Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word"||Jeannot Szwarc||Stacy McKee||November 14, 2013|
|When an unexpected malpractice suit turns Callie’s world upside down, her supportive father arrives and shares an interesting secret with her. Meanwhile, through flashbacks, we learn some surprising details about Callie and Arizona’s marriage.|
|206||10||"Somebody That I Used to Know"||Debbie Allen||Debora Cahn||November 21, 2013|
|Ben worries that a casual conversation with Derek could potentially cause issues for Bailey. Cristina turns to Shane as tension grows with Meredith. And April’s upcoming wedding makes for an uncomfortable situation between Jackson and Stephanie. Meanwhile, Meredith plans a Thanksgiving dinner at her house.|
|207||11||"Man on the Moon"||Bobby Roth||Elizabeth Klaviter||December 5, 2013|
|April's sisters arrive to help celebrate April's upcoming nuptials and quickly get on her nerves. Matthew and Jackson are forced to work together when they witness a terrible accident, Callie and Arizona work hard to reestablish their relationship, and Cristina is pressured to live stream an upcoming surgery. Meanwhile, a familiar face returns to the hospital.|
|208||12||"Get Up, Stand Up"||Tony Phelan||William Harper||December 12, 2013|
|On the day of April’s wedding, the Grey Sloan Memorial doctors are all preoccupied with their own drama. Meredith and Cristina continue to argue about their research and careers, Bailey comes clean to Ben about her feelings regarding him moving back to Seattle, and Shane puts himself in a risky situation. Meanwhile, Derek gets a phone call that will change his life.|
|209||13||"Take It Back"||Rob Corn||Austin Guzman||February 27, 2014|
|The doctors face the consequences of the events that took place at April's wedding. Meredith feels betrayed when Derek goes back on a promise, Alex is furious after returning to the hospital and hearing the news about his father, and Arizona and Callie decide whether or not to move forward together. Meanwhile, Bailey realizes she was wrong about the motive behind Ben's decision to move back to Seattle.|
|210||14||"You've Got to Hide Your Love Away"||Ron Underwood||Tia Napolitano||March 6, 2014|
|After an anonymous complaint is issued by one of their own, the hospital implements a non-fraternizing policy causing the couples to panic. Meanwhile, Emma and Owen talk about the future, Cristina and Meredith enjoy a little girl time and Richard enlists the residents to help research a rare cancer case.|
|211||15||"Throwing it All Away"||Chris Hayden||William Harper||March 13, 2014|
|Arizona has a bad day which escalates when she advises one of Callie's patients on a potential double amputation. Derek goes back on a promise to Callie, and Jo and Stephanie come across an abandoned baby outside the hospital. Meanwhile, the doctors deal with the repercussions of the non-fraternization rule, which include meetings with HR and one doctor's suspension.|
|212||16||"We Gotta Get Out of This Place"||Susan Vaill||Jeannine Renshaw||March 20, 2014|
|It's Richard's birthday and Bailey invites him to scrub in on the case of a lifetime. Meredith hires a research assistant to help with her portal vein project. A scorned Callie gives Derek quite the shock. Meanwhile, Shane helps screen candidates for Cristina's clinical trial and meets a young expectant mother who needs his help.|
|213||17||"Do You Know?"||Chandra Wilson||Stacy McKee||March 27, 2014|
|Cristina imagines the two routes her life can take based on one decision she makes. Meanwhile one of the hospital’s patients decides whether or not to live.|
|214||18||"You Be Illin'"||Nicole Rubio||Zoanne Clack||April 3, 2014|
|The hospital gets inundated with flu infected patients, which causes the doctors to slowly fall ill one by one. Derek must fight off the sickness as he prepares to give a speech on brain mapping and the residents place bets on who will fall ill first. Meanwhile, a new doctor at the hospital gives Alex a glimpse into an alternate form of medical practice.|
|215||19||"I'm Winning"||Kevin McKidd||Joan Rater||April 10, 2014|
|Cristina is nominated for a Harper Avery and although most of her fellow doctors are ecstatic, she won't let herself get too excited. Bailey continues to work on a young boy without an immune system. Alex considers making a change, and Derek and Callie work with a machine that can recognize emotions. Meanwhile, Richard gives the residents a pep talk about the exciting projects going on around the hospital.|
|216||20||"Go It Alone"||Mark Jackson||Lauren Barnett||April 17, 2014|
|Cristina enlists Meredith to help her prepare an acceptance speech for her possible Harper Avery win and while Owen offers to attend the ceremony with her, she insists on going alone. Meanwhile, Derek feels overwhelmed between his responsibilities at home and at the hospital. April and Jackson come to a disagreement on children and religion, and Callie and Arizona try to reconnect in their marriage.|
|217||21||"Change of Heart"||Rob Greenlea||Meg Marinis||April 24, 2014|
|Jackson is given the daunting task of delivering disappointing news to the doctors. Meanwhile, Derek's sister Amelia drops by for a surprise visit, Richard surprises Catherine in Boston and when Bailey gets frustrated by the slow pace of her research, she makes a risky decision.|
|218||22||"We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"||Rob Corn||Joan Rater||May 1, 2014|
|Cristina looks to Meredith for advice as she assesses her future at the hospital. Derek and Amelia work together on a difficult surgery involving conjoined twins. Meanwhile, Jo is spread too thin when she tries to work on several cases at once and Stephanie realizes the truth about Bailey’s bubble boy case.|
|219||23||"Everything I Try to Do, Nothing Seems to Turn Out Right"||Bill D'Elia||Austin Guzman||May 8, 2014|
|With Derek away, Meredith spends time with Amelia and finds out her true feelings about her time in Seattle. Bailey deals with the ramifications of her actions and Callie receives devastating news. Meanwhile, the residents panic after hearing that one of them will be fired.|
|220||24||"Fear (of the Unknown)"||William Harper||Tony Phelan||May 15, 2014|
|The doctors of Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital bid an emotional farewell to the beloved Cristina Yang. A possible act of terrorism rocks Seattle and causes chaos at the hospital. Meanwhile, Meredith makes a life-changing decision and one doctor receives shocking news.|
The "Grey's Anatomy: Complete Tenth Season – Live For The Moments" boxset was released on September 2, 2014 in Region 1. On November 3, 2014 and October 8, 2014, the DVD was released in regions 2 and 4 respectively.
The boxset contains the 24 episodes of the season, with one extended. The DVD box includes 6 discs. Other set details are:
- English (Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround)
- Audio Commentaries
Additional to the episodes, the season 10 DVD set also contains a couple of special features:
- Extended Episode: Do You Know?
- An Immeasurable Gift: Sandra Oh on Cristina Yang and her 10 year run (26:06 min)
- Medical, Medical: A Tutorial on Medical Procedures for TV – The medical procedures on Grey's Anatomy have intensified the hospital drama since day one. In this featurette, watch selected cast members get a tutorial from medical producer Linda Klein. From sewing stitches to starting a central line, we'll see what it takes for the actors to pull off their TV surgical skills (13:28 min)
- Deleted Scenes:
- "They could get themselves killed" - I Want You With Me (00:16 min)
- "Alex & Jo" - Everybody's Crying Mercy (00:38 min)
- "We met our goal" - Puttin' on the Ritz (00:49 min)
- "Can I put in my 2 cents?" - Map of You (00:29 min)
- "I can do anything!" - Two Against One (00:20 min)
- "Slower & Better" - Two Against One (00:37 min)
- "Let's get the hell out of here" - Two Against One (00:25 min)
- "Explain the sponge" - Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word (01:34 min)
- "Can't catch a break today" - Somebody That I Used to Know (00:27 min)
- "I Remember You" - Get Up, Stand Up (00:38 min)
- "You okay?" - You've Got to Hide Your Love Away (00:34 min)
- "There we go" - We Gotta Get Out of This Place (00:29 min)
- "Our last mirror together" - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (00:48 min)
- "Bailey's choice" - Everything I Try to Do, Nothing Seems to Turn Out Right (00:37 min)
- "You're a liar!" - Fear (of the Unknown) (00:54 min)
- Bloopers (2:28 min)