|Grey's Anatomy Seasons|
Summary[edit | edit source]
Performing medical miracles on a daily basis makes the surgeons of Grey Sloan Memorial consider themselves a breed apart from mere mortals. However, what works in the O.R. doesn't always cut it in the "real world." And when the gloves and scrubs come off, they often find that fixing their own chaotic lives takes a lot more than neatly tied sutures.
After being on her own for some time, Meredith is beginning to explore the idea of a romance with Riggs. Unfortunately, Maggie desires him as well, which threatens to drive a bitter wedge between the sisters. At the same time, despite their differences, Jackson and April must come together when they are assigned a difficult case. Meanwhile, Alex faces the consequences of his vicious attack on DeLuca, Owen and Amelia's marriage implodes and a hospital-wide mutiny erupts when Bailey demotes Webber. Finally, Arizona may have found love again - but is she sleeping with the enemy?
Plots[edit | edit source]
- Meredith slowly opens herself up to love again with Nathan while making sure Maggie doesn't get hurt.
- The fall-out of Alex beating up Andrew and Alex finding about Jo's secret marriage.
- Bailey's loyalties get tested when Alex faces felony charges and Catherine demands she hire an eduction consultant to overhaul the residency program when Leah Murphy returns to the hospital.
- Richard feels betrayed by Bailey and Catherine when Eliza Minnick, the consultant, takes over his job, while the other attendings support him. The tension results in a civil war inside the hospital.
- With Callie and Sofia in New York, Arizona is caught between Alex and Andrew and she develops a secret romantic relationship with Eliza Minnick.
- Newlyweds Owen and Amelia have a fallout over having children.
- Jackson and April move in together to co-parent Harriet despite not getting back together. April has to decide where her loyalties lie as she's presented with a job offer while Jackson seeks out his father and leans on April for support. He also bonds with Maggie while treating her mother.
- Jo feels isolated after Alex's actions and the following trial and finds a friend in Andrew.
- Stephanie buries herself in work to avoid grieving and happily welcomes the Minnick method, which gives residents a more prominent role in the OR.
- Maggie deals with her crush on Nathan and her mother's disease while bonding with Jackson.
- Ben feels caught between his attending friends and resident colleagues given their conflicting feelings about Minnick as he navigates through residency playing it safe.
- Nathan pursues Meredith and tries to get to her to open herself up to love, drawing from his own experience.
- Andrew bonds with Jo and develops feelings for her as he continues his internship.
- A hospital fire and news about Megan throws everyone for a loop.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Main Cast[edit | edit source]
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey (23/24) (2 voice only)
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev (19/24)
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey (21/24)
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber (21/24)
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt (20/24)
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins (19/24)
- Sarah Drew as Dr. April Kepner (19/24)
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery (21/24)
- Caterina Scorsone as Dr. Amelia Shepherd (19/24)
- Camilla Luddington as Dr. Jo Wilson (17/24)
- Jerrika Hinton as Dr. Stephanie Edwards (20/24)
- Kelly McCreary as Dr. Maggie Pierce (20/24)
- Jason George as Dr. Ben Warren (20/24)
- Martin Henderson as Dr. Nathan Riggs (21/24)
- Giacomo Gianniotti as Dr. Andrew DeLuca (18/24)
Recurring Guest Stars[edit | edit source]
- Joe Adler as Dr. Isaac Cross (4/24)
- Debbie Allen as Dr. Catherine Avery (9/24)
- Tessa Ferrer as Dr. Leah Murphy (6/24)
- Brigid Brannagh as Veronica Kays (2/24)
- Dave Shalansky as Jeremy (2/24)
- Marika Dominczyk as Dr. Eliza Minnick (11/24)
- Anjul Nigam as Dr. Raj Sen (1/24)
- LaTanya Richardson Jackson as Diane Pierce (3/24)
- Darby Camp as Erin Miller (2/24)
- Matthew Morrison as Dr. Paul Stadler (1/24)
Prominent Guest Stars[edit | edit source]
- Jen Lilley as Kara Fisher
- Ravi Patel as Timir Dhar
- Eric Roberts as Dr. Robert Avery
- June Squibb as Dr. Elsie Clatch
- Hal Holbrook as Dr. Lewis Clatch
Recurring Co-Stars[edit | edit source]
- James Holloway as Paramedic Clyde (1/24)
- Olivia-Diane Joseph as Nurse Liv (3/24)
- BJ Tanner as Tuck (1/24)
- Gordon E. James as Nurse Gregory (2/24)
- Mara Hall as Nurse Kathleen (1/24)
- Kevin Clarke as Paramedic Kevin Clarke (1/24)
- Bryan Frank as Paramedic Mullen (2/24)
- Cassidy Brown as Dillard Nurse (1/24)
- JoAnna Rhambo as Nurse (1/24)
- Aniela Gumbs as Zola Grey Shepherd (3/24)
- Vivian Nixon as Hannah Brody (5/24)
- Dyana Liu as Nurse (1/24)
- Kila Packett as Paramedic Jackson (1/24)
- Leigh Bush as Assistant (2/24)
- Payton Silver as Dr. Knox (1/24)
- Grace Rowe as Paramedic Grace (2/24)
- Norm Nixon, Jr. as Intern James (1/24)
- Maria Elena Maglaris as Nurse Maria (1/24)
- Tom Larochelle as Gary Miller (2/24)
Notes and Trivia[edit | edit source]
- ABC officially renewed Grey's Anatomy for its thirteenth season on March 3, 2016.
- This is the first season since her introduction in season 2 not to feature Sara Ramírez as Dr. Callie Torres.
- On October 10, 2016, it was announced that Tessa Ferrer would be reprising her role as Dr. Leah Murphy in a recurring role in this season.
- Caterina Scorsone was pregnant with her second child during the start of filming the season. Her pregnancy was not written into the show.
- Camilla Luddington was pregnant with her first child during the filming of this season. It is also not written into the show. She gave birth during production of the last few episodes of the season, resulting in a multi-episode absence of Jo Wilson.
- Ellen Pompeo welcomed a third child into her family whilst filming this season, resulting in noticeably less screen time in the episodes mid-season. It also led to her making two voice only appearances, as well as her first episode ever with no appearance at all.
- For production reasons, presumably including three actresses with a baby on the way, it was decided at the beginning of the season that there would be four stand-alone episodes, focusing on only a couple of characters per episode. They were all filmed around the same time in late 2016, but spread throughout the season:
- The Room Where It Happens aired on November 10, 2016 and only includes Meredith Grey, Stephanie Edwards, Owen Hunt, and Richard Webber.
- You Can Look (But You'd Better Not Touch) aired on January 26, 2017 and only includes Arizona Robbins, Miranda Bailey, and Jo Wilson (with a voice over narrated by Meredith Grey).
- Who Is He (And What Is He To You)? aired on March 16, 2017 and only includes Jackson Avery and April Kepner.
- In the Air Tonight aired on April 13, 2017 and only includes Nathan Riggs and Meredith Grey, making her the only character to appear on screen in more than one of the stand-alone episodes.
- The season introduces a remarkable amount of relatives of main characters on screen: Richard's mother, Maggie's mother and father, Jackson's father, and Owen's sister.
- You Can Look (But You'd Better Not Touch) is the first episode where Meredith doesn't appear on-screen. However, she does provide the voiceover. This happens again in It Only Gets Much Worse. In Who Is He (And What Is He To You)?, Meredith doesn't appear, nor does she narrate the voice over, making it the first episode ever not to feature Meredith in any way.
- This is the first season of the series where there isn't at least one main character to appear in every episode.
- It's the first season since her birth not to feature Sofia Robbin Sloan Torres.
- Meredith Grey has narrated the voiceovers except for two.
- Filming for this season started on August 1, 2016 and wrapped early in April 2017.
Episodes[edit | edit source]
|No. in series||No. in season||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|270||1||"Undo"||Debbie Allen||William Harper||September 22, 2016|
|When one of Grey Sloan's own lands in the hospital, Bailey tries to figure out what happened while the rest of the doctors jump in to help. Meredith juggles huge secrets that affect her relationships with Alex and Maggie. While Richard helps Jo with a big decision, April and Catherine clash over the new baby.|
|271||2||"Catastrophe and the Cure"||Kevin McKidd||Karin Gist||September 29, 2016|
|Meredith considers her loyalties, as Alex deals with the repercussions of his actions. Newlyweds Amelia and Owen host a dinner party with unlikely guests, and Jackson proposes an arrangement to help April through her recovery.|
|272||3||"I Ain't No Miracle Worker"||Rob Corn||Andy Reaser||October 6, 2016|
|A car crash at a funeral brings a bickering family into the hospital. Back from New York, Arizona ends up caught between Alex and Andrew. While Ben takes on a new parenting role, Amelia helps Meredith and Maggie through a problem.|
|273||4||"Falling Slowly"||Victoria Mahoney||Jen Klein||October 13, 2016|
|Alex tries to do the right thing, but still can't catch a break. Jackson and April adjust to their "new normal" with the baby. While Meredith and Nathan establish what's going on between them, Amelia questions the status of her relationship with Owen.|
|274||5||"Both Sides Now"||Chandra Wilson||Mark Driscoll||October 20, 2016|
|Meredith and Bailey are at odds when both of their patients need a liver transplant, Owen seeks help from the other doctors when he is charged with babysitting baby Harriet for the day, and Amelia struggles with telling Owen some important news.|
|275||6||"Roar"||Nicole Rubio||Elizabeth J.B. Klaviter||October 27, 2016|
|A familiar face returns to Grey Sloan, throwing many of the doctors for a loop. With Catherine putting on the pressure, Bailey has to make a decision about Alex, while a tough ER case makes Amelia's bad day even worse.|
|276||7||"Why Try to Change Me Now"||Jeannot Szwarc||Austin Guzman||November 3, 2016|
|The arrival of a new consultant puts all of the doctors on edge, especially once she starts stepping on toes in the OR. Amelia and Owen bring their personal problems into the hospital, while April explores some uncharted territory.|
|277||8||"The Room Where It Happens"||Debbie Allen||Meg Marinis||November 10, 2016|
|A difficult surgery brings back pivotal memories for Meredith, Richard, Owen, and Stephanie, as they work together to save a life.|
|278||9||"You Haven't Done Nothin'"||Rob Corn||Karin Gist||November 17, 2016|
|Believing he's going to jail tomorrow, Alex makes a big decision about his future. While the hospital is overrun with victims of a building collapse, Richard demands answers from Bailey about Eliza's presence at Grey Sloan.|
|279||10||"You Can Look (But You'd Better Not Touch)"||Jann Turner||Tia Napolitano||January 26, 2017|
|Bailey, Arizona and Jo go to a maximum security women's prison to treat a violent, 16-year-old pregnant girl and her unborn baby.|
|280||11||"Jukebox Hero"||Kevin Rodney Sullivan||Zoanne Clack||February 2, 2017|
|Richard and the attendings set out to make Eliza's first day at Grey Sloan a bumpy one. Meanwhile, Meredith tries to track down Alex.|
|281||12||"None of Your Business"||Geary McLeod||Andy Reaser||February 9, 2017|
|Maggie gets a surprise visit from her mother at the hospital. Bailey has to make a difficult decision when one of the attendings refuses to work with Eliza, and Stephanie gets caught up in Owen and Amelia's personal drama.|
|282||13||"It Only Gets Much Worse"||Jeannot Szwarc||Lauren Barnett||February 16, 2017|
|The residents are excited for Eliza's next phase of teaching, but they spend the day caught between the warring attendings. Meanwhile, April has a challenging first day in her new role at the hospital.|
|283||14||"Back Where You Belong"||Oliver Bokelberg||Jen Klein||February 23, 2017|
|Alex returns to the hospital and discovers a lot has changed since he left. Meanwhile, Jo has to make a difficult decision on a case, and Arizona tries to distance herself from Eliza.|
|284||15||"Civil War"||Nicole Rubio||Elizabeth J.B. Klaviter||March 9, 2017|
|Richard, Jackson, April, and Catherine tackle a grueling trauma case intensified by hospital politics, Amelia finally faces her feelings about Owen, and Meredith gets caught between Nathan and Alex over a patient.|
|285||16||"Who Is He (And What Is He To You)?"||Elisabeth R. Finch||Kevin McKidd||March 16, 2017|
|Jackson and April travel to Montana in order to perform a complicated surgery on a young patient, but Jackson's mind is elsewhere, and April is forced to step up and get him back on track.|
|286||17||"Till I Hear It From You"||Kevin McKidd||Austin Guzman||March 23, 2017|
|Diane Pierce returns to Grey Sloan, but Maggie is still in the dark as to why she's really there. Owen and Amelia hash out their problems as they work a trauma case together, and Bailey tries to mend her relationship with Richard.|
|287||18||"Be Still, My Soul"||Ellen Pompeo||Meg Marinis||March 30, 2018|
|When Maggie's mom's health deteriorates, the doctors are at odds over how to treat her. Meanwhile, Richard comes to grips with Bailey's betrayal over the Residency Program.|
|288||19||"What's Inside"||Nzingha Stewart||Tia Napolitano||April 6, 2017|
|When Maggie takes on a big case, many of the doctors are worried she's not the right one for the job while Stephanie makes a mistake, treating one of Grey Sloan's own.|
|289||20||"In the Air Tonight"||Chandra Wilson||Stacy McKee||April 13, 2017|
|Meredith and Nathan have to confront their feelings when they are stuck sitting next to each other on a plane.|
|290||21||"Don't Stop Me Now"||Louis Venosta||Andy Reaser||April 27, 2017|
|Bailey and April work to fix things between Richard and Catherine. Meanwhile, Eliza continues to pursue Arizona, and one of Alex's previous patients returns to Grey Sloan.|
|291||22||"Leave It Inside"||Zetna Fuentes||Elisabeth R. Finch||May 4, 2017|
|April and Andrew consult with a fiery patient who has a giant, inoperable heart tumor. Meanwhile, Alex and Eliza are at odds over the treatment of a young patient, and Stephanie and Ben make decisions that could affect their careers.|
|292||23||"True Colors"||Kevin McKidd||William Harper||May 11, 2017|
|The doctors of Grey Sloan encounter a difficult case involving a dangerous patient. Meanwhile, Owen receives life-changing news that pushes Amelia to step up to support him, and Alex attends a medical conference after making a shocking discovery.|
|293||24||"Ring of Fire"||Debbie Allen||Stacy McKee||May 18, 2017|
|The doctors' lives are at risk after a dangerous patient escapes the hospital room. Alex must make a difficult decision in his relationship with Jo. Meredith has big news for Nathan that brings things to a turning point.|
Reception[edit | edit source]
DVD Release[edit | edit source]
The "Grey's Anatomy: Complete Thirteenth Season" boxset was released on August 29, 2017 in region 1. In region 2, the boxset was released in October 23, 2017.
Set Details[edit | edit source]
The boxset contains the 24 episodes of the season. The DVD box includes 6 discs. Other set details are:
- English (Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround)
- Runtime: approximately 1,008 minutes
Special Features[edit | edit source]
In addition to the episodes, the season 13 DVD set also contains a couple of special features:
- Deleted Scenes – Back From the Dead, These Scenes Have a New Life on DVD
- In Stitches – Check Out the Cast Cutting Up, Both In and Out of the OR