|Grey's Anatomy Seasons|
After the fire, Miranda Bailey starts renovations at the hospital. She discovers she'll need more than new walls and paint to repair broken trust, tainted reputations and broken relationships. Against the backdrop of a year full of love, loss and groundbreaking changes, Meredith pioneers a revolutionary surgical technique that earns her a nomination for the coveted award named after its founder, Harper Avery. But when former legend Dr. Avery gets involved in a scandal, Meredith's efforts and the future of Grey Sloan are put in jeopardy.
- Bailey is forced to renovate Grey Sloan due to the fire.
- Owen's sister Megan is back and Meredith performs an important surgery on her.
- Teddy returns after Megan is found.
- DeLuca's sister Carina arrives to do research on the female orgasm and quickly becomes intimate with Arizona.
- A new bunch of interns come to the hospital.
- April decides she needs to move out since she can't handle the situation between her and Jackson.
- Jackson inherits millions of dollars after Harper Avery dies and struggles with possible feelings for Maggie after finding out that April thinks something's going on between the two of them.
- Amelia has a 10-centimeter benign frontal lobe tumor that has been growing for the past 10 years. Since it has compromised her planning and decision making, she has to re-discover who she is after the tumor is removed.
- Megan helps Owen re-evaluate his life, including his marriage.
- Nathan reconnects with Megan and Meredith helps him realize that despite his feelings for her, Megan is his big love. The couple moves to Malibu with Megan's son.
- Jo and Alex reconcile after the latter confesses about finding her husband. Jo later decides to file for divorce to end the control Paul still has over her, resulting in him showing up at the hospital to confront her.
- Owen and Amelia separate after realizing that neither of them are happy.
- Meredith is nominated for and wins a Harper Avery Award.
- Ben decides to become a firefighter and joins the Seattle Fire Department's Station 19.
- Stress catches up to Bailey and causes her to have a heart attack, which puts things in perspective for her.
- The attendings are developing projects for the Grey Sloan Surgical Innovation Contest held by April.
- Seattle firefighters Andy Herrera and Ben Warren appear at Grey Sloan after rescuing 2 young boys who were injured in an apartment fire.
- Meredith and Jo meet with the owner of the patent they need for the Grey Sloan Surgical Innovation Contest.
- Meredith tries to unveil details about Marie Cerone's history with her mother.
- Jo and Alex get engaged.
- Maggie and Jackson's relationship progresses, Jackson has a groundbreaking surgery to perform with his mother and Richard.
- Bello, an intern and Andrew's ex-lover comes to Grey Sloan and they rekindle their romance. Later, she moves to Zurich to avoid being deported by ICE.
- Richard's sponsor, Olive Warner is admited in the hospital and dies, leaving Richard devastated.
- After Jackson unknowingly waives an NDA stopping Rebecca Froy from telling her story, it becomes public that Harper Avery assaulted several women during his lifetime. Due to the scandal, the Harper Avery Foundation is dissolved and the Catherine Fox Foundation is formed in its place.
- Owen decides to foster a kid and Amelia becomes the sponsor of the kid's mother.
- April suffers an accident with Matthew. She survives, but quits the hospital to work at a free clinic.
- Arizona goes to NY with Sofia and open the Robbins-Herman Center for Women's Health and reunites with Callie.
- Jo and Alex get married.
- Matthew and April get married.
- Teddy returns to be the interim Chief and is expecting a baby.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey (23/24)
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev (22/24)
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey (23/24)
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber (22/24)
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt (23/24)
- Jessica Capshaw as Dr. Arizona Robbins (20/24)
- Sarah Drew as Dr. April Kepner (22/24)
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery (22/24)
- Caterina Scorsone as Dr. Amelia Shepherd (22/24)
- Camilla Luddington as Dr. Jo Wilson (21/24)
- Kelly McCreary as Dr. Maggie Pierce (22/24)
- Jason George as Dr. Ben Warren (13/24)
- Martin Henderson as Dr. Nathan Riggs (5/24) (until Danger Zone)
- Giacomo Gianniotti as Dr. Andrew DeLuca (20/24)
Recurring Guest Stars
- Abigail Spencer as Dr. Megan Hunt (5/24)
- Debra Mooney as Evelyn Hunt (2/24)
- Stefania Spampinato as Dr. Carina DeLuca (16/24)
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman (5/24)
- Debbie Allen as Dr. Catherine Fox (10/24)
- Greg Germann as Dr. Tom Koracick (7/24)
- Sophia Taylor Ali as Dr. Dahlia Qadri (12/24) (co-star prior to You Really Got a Hold on Me)
- Bill Smitrovich as Dr. Walter Carr (1/24)
- Chelcie Ross as Dr. Harper Avery (1/24)
- Jeanine Mason as Dr. Sam Bello (12/24)
- Robert Picardo as Mr. Nelligan (2/24)
- Ray Ford as Ray Sutera (1/24)
- Kate Burton as Dr. Ellis Grey (1/24)
- Alex Fernandez as Agent Heyward (2/24)
- Lesley Boone as Judy Kemp (3/24)
- Kaili Vernoff as Naomi Markham (2/24)
- China Shavers as Ms. Baner (2/24)
- Matthew Morrison as Dr. Paul Stadler (3/24)
- Mitch Silpa as Tim Ruggles (2/24) (co-star in Out of Nowhere)
- Annie Sertich as Peggy Knox (3/24) (co-star in Out of Nowhere)
- Joy Lenz as Jenny (2/24)
- Blake Hood as Clive Johnson (3/24)
- Justin Bruening as Matthew Taylor (4/24)
- Frankie Faison as William Bailey (1/24)
- Bianca F. Taylor as Elena Bailey (1/24)
- Candis Cayne as Dr. Michelle Velez (2/24)
- Jaina Lee Ortiz as Andy Herrera (1/24)
- Rachel Ticotin as Dr. Marie Cerone (3/24)
- Caitlin McGee as Liz Brosniak (2/24)
- Mary Kay Place as Olive Warner (2/24)
- Sarah Utterback as Olivia Jankovic (1/24)
- Sunil Malhotra as Sanjay Roy (2/24)
- Peyton Kennedy as Betty Nelson (4/24)
- Lindsay Wagner as Helen Karev (1/24)
- Geena Davis as Dr. Nicole Herman (1/24)
Prominent Guest Stars
- Jos Viramontes as David Martinez (2/24)
- Jake Borelli as Dr. Levi Schmitt (18/24)
- Liberty Hobbs as Candace Warner (2/24)
- Juan Martinez as Beau Martinez (2/24)
- Payton Silver as Dr. Knox (2/24)
- Steven Michael Eich as Buck (2/24)
- Cheyenne Haynes as Mindy Kiefer (2/24)
- Vivian Nixon as Hannah Brody (1/24)
- Grace Rowe as Paramedic Grace (4/24)
- Aniela Gumbs as Zola Grey Shepherd (6/24)
- Rushi Kota as Dr. Vikram Roy (14/24)
- Alex Blue Davis as Dr. Casey Parker (13/24)
- Jaicy Elliot as Dr. Taryn Helm (17/24)
- Bardia Seiri as Farouk Shami (2/24)
- Chris Muto as Nurse Michael (1/24)
- Kila Packett as Paramedic Jackson (1/24)
- Nicole Cummins as Paramedic Nicole Cummins (1/24)
- Branden Silverman as Firefighter (1/24)
- Eva Ariel Binder as Sofia Robbin Sloan Torres (3/24)
- Linda Klein as Nurse Linda (3/24)
- Christopher Kriesa as Claude Markham (2/24)
- Nina Millin as Dayna Rutledge (3/24)
- Micah Abbey as Frankie Baner (2/24)
- Frances Nichols as Karen (2/24)
- Gordon E. James as Nurse Gregory (1/24)
- Norm Nixon, Jr. as Nurse James (2/24)
- JoAnna Rhambo as O.R. Nurse (1/24)
- Alex Manugian as Nurse Taylor (1/24)
- Kate Mines as Nurse Gloria (1/24)
- BJ Tanner as William George Bailey Jones (2/24)
- Bryan Frank as Paramedic Mullen (1/24)
- J. Omar Castro as Paramedic (1/24)
- Marilyn Tokuda as Peg (5/24)
- Nayah Damasen as Kimmie Park (5/24)
- Maria Elena Maglaris as Nurse Maria (1/24)
- Steele Gagnon as Noah Brosniak (2/24)
- Walter Fauntleroy as Mark (2/24)
- Olivia-Diane Joseph as Nurse Liv (3/24)
- Liberte Chan as Reporter (2/24)
- John Cappon as Paramedic John (1/24)
- Sarah Benoit as Julia Udell (1/24)
Notes and Trivia
- ABC officially renewed Grey's Anatomy for its fourteenth season on February 10, 2017.
- Production was scheduled to start July 17, 2017 and wrap in April 2018.
- On April 28, 2017, veteran writer Krista Vernoff announced that she'd be returning to the show for season fourteen. She will also serve as co-showrunner with William Harper.
- A 30-second ad during an episode of this season costs advertisers $184,273.
- This season features the 300th episode of Grey's Anatomy.
- According to Krista Vernoff, this season has 12 writers, out of which 8 are women, including new writers Kiley Donovan, Marlana Hope, and Air Force veteran Jalysa Conway.
- This is the first season since her introduction in season nine not to feature Jerrika Hinton as Stephanie Edwards. With her departure, there were as many current main cast members as there are departed.
- This season features episodes with storylines related to modern-day topics:
- Megan Hunt's story arc with Farouk develops a plot about foreign people's rights in the United States.
- 1-800-799-7233 deals with domestic violence, and the struggles of trans people.
- Jackson's medical project is going to further explore the struggles of trans individuals.
- Personal Jesus has a plot related to police bias to black people.
- (Don't Fear) the Reaper and Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger deal with American medical statistics in women.
- Hold Back the River deals with health care fraud.
- Beautiful Dreamer has a plot related to DACA and the DREAM act.
- Judgment Day starts a story arc about Harper Avery's sexual harassment on women over the years.
- Like season three, season eleven, and season twelve, this season ended with a wedding.
- This is the final season of Grey's Anatomy to be part of the original TGIT line-up with Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder as Scandal ended with its seventh season.
- The poster for this season features Meredith and the other three remaining originals (Alex, Bailey, and Richard), marking the first time since season seven that these people are featured on a promotional poster with Meredith. It also marks the first time since season twelve that Meredith is not on the poster by herself.
- Ellen Pompeo is credited as a producer since Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story.
- During this season aired the web-series Grey's Anatomy: B-Team directed by Sarah Drew.
- Jesse Williams makes his directorial debut this season, with the episode Fight For Your Mind.
- Meredith Grey has narrated the voice overs except four this season:
- Amelia Shepherd narrated the voice over for Ain't That a Kick in the Head.
- Owen Hunt narrated the voice over for Danger Zone.
- April Kepner narrated the voice over in Personal Jesus.
- Miranda Bailey narrated the voice over for (Don't Fear) the Reaper.
- The voice over for One Day Like This was shared with April Kepner and Owen Hunt.
- This season appears to continue the trend of featuring episodes that focus on a few characters at a time, resulting in only a few main cast members appearing in said episodes:
- Danger Zone focuses on Owen Hunt, Nathan Riggs (and Megan Hunt), further only including Amelia Shepherd and Meredith Grey.
- (Don't Fear) the Reaper focuses on Miranda Bailey, featuring only Richard Webber, Ben Warren, and Maggie Pierce besides her.
- One Day Like This heavily focused on Meredith Grey, April Kepner, and Owen Hunt. Miranda Bailey, Alex Karev, and Jackson Avery are the only main characters to also appear.
- The season introduces doctors Casey Parker and Michelle Velez, the first prominent trans doctors on the show.
- This season also introduces Dahlia Qadri, the first prominent character to wear a hijab on the show. The first time hijabs were worn on the show was by extras in Be Still, My Soul.
- The season features the backdoor pilot for the new spinoff Station 19.
- For the 70th Emmy Awards, the series submitted several nomination ballots.
- Drama Series
- Drama Actress for Ellen Pompeo
- Drama Supporting Actress for Debbie Allen, Jessica Capshaw, Sarah Drew, Camilla Luddington, Jeanine Mason, Kelly McCreary, Kim Raver, Caterina Scorsone, Stefania Spampinato, and Chandra Wilson
- Drama Supporting Actor for Justin Chambers, Jason George, Greg Germann, Giacomo Gianniotti, Kevin McKidd, James Pickens Jr., and Jesse Williams
- Drama Guest Actress for Candis Cayne, Bethany Joy Lenz, Jaina Lee Ortiz, Abigail Spencer, and Rachel Ticotin
- Drama Guest Actor for Matthew Morrison
- The season noticeably features appearances by a lot of characters from the past:
- Break Down the House marks the return of Teddy Altman and Evelyn Hunt.
- Go Big or Go Home features the return of Harper Avery and Walter Carr.
- Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story brings back Ellis Grey, Sofia, Ray Sutera, and Paramedic Nicole.
- Personal Jesus marks the return of Matthew Taylor.
- (Don't Fear) the Reaper features William Bailey and Elena Bailey.
- Hold Back the River marks the return of Olive Warner.
- Bad Reputation marks the return of Olivia Harper.
- Cold as Ice marks the return of Nicole Herman.
- This season sees the departure of Martin Henderson, Jessica Capshaw, Sarah Drew, and Jason George as Nathan Riggs, Arizona Robbins, April Kepner, and Ben Warren, respectively. These total up to four departures, the highest of any season in the series.
|No. in series||No. in season||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|294||1||"Break Down the House"||Debbie Allen||Krista Vernoff||September 28, 2017|
|Meredith and the team are focused on helping Owen's sister after her shocking return, and Amelia faces a conflict over a patient. Meanwhile, Bailey is forced to give Grey Sloan a facelift after the fire and the doctors are introduced to a few new faces that spice things up around the hospital.|
|295||2||"Get Off on the Pain"||Kevin McKidd||Krista Vernoff||September 28, 2017|
|Meredith struggles to come up with a new plan for Owen's sister. Jo makes a surprising choice regarding Alex. Andrew's sister's controversial research leads to a shocking discovery.|
|296||3||"Go Big or Go Home"||Chandra Wilson||Meg Marinis||October 5, 2017|
|Harper Avery arrives, putting Bailey on edge. A familiar face from Meredith's past returns as a patient, and Amelia tries to manage a secret.|
|297||4||"Ain't That a Kick in the Head"||Geary McLeod||Marlana Hope||October 12, 2017|
|Amelia confronts a difficult situation, while Meredith deals with the fallout from her conversation with Nathan. Maggie finds herself at an awkward family dinner, Jackson receives big news, and Richard and Bailey search for the stars of tomorrow.|
|298||5||"Danger Zone"||Cecilie Mosli||Jalysa Conway||October 26, 2017|
|In a flashback to Iraq in 2007, the events leading up to Megan's kidnapping are revealed. In present day, Owen and Megan hash out old wounds.|
|299||6||"Come on Down to My Boat, Baby"||Lisa Leone||Kiley Donovan||November 2, 2017|
|Jackson decides he needs some time off and invites the guys to join him on a day out at sea, while Arizona, April, and Maggie treat a woman who is hiding a deadly secret.|
|300||7||"Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story"||Debbie Allen||Krista Vernoff||November 9, 2017|
|After a roller coaster car falls off the track at the county fair, the doctors at Grey Sloan tend to patients who spark memories about ghosts from their past.|
|301||8||"Out of Nowhere"||Kevin McKidd||William Harper||November 16, 2017|
|A hacker compromises the hospital’s computer system, causing monitors, phones, labs and patient files to all go down. As technology fails them, Bailey attempts to keep the peace but chaos erupts and the doctors are forced to get creative in their methods to treat the patients.|
|302||9||"1-800-799-7233"||Bill D'Elia||Andy Reaser||January 18, 2018|
|Jo finally faces her estranged, abusive husband Paul Stadler, while Grey Sloan continues to work with the FBI after a hacker has compromised the hospital's computer system.|
|303||10||"Personal Jesus"||Kevin Rodney Sullivan||Zoanne Clack||January 25, 2018|
|A young boy is admitted to Grey Sloan Memorial and his case has a profound impact on the doctors. Meanwhile, April is faced with a surprising patient, and Jo continues to deal with her estranged husband.|
|304||11||"(Don't Fear) the Reaper"||Nicole Rubio||Elisabeth R. Finch||February 1, 2018|
|The stress of managing the hospital and coming to terms with Ben’s decision to become a Seattle firefighter pushes Bailey to her limits.|
|305||12||"Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger"||Jeannot Szwarc||Kiley Donovan||February 8, 2018|
|April is in charge of the new Grey Sloan Surgical Innovation Contest, and the doctors are eager to start their projects. Meanwhile, Catherine’s old friend has a shocking idea for Catherine and Jackson, and Meredith treats a returning patient who inspires her project.|
|306||13||"You Really Got a Hold on Me"||Stacy McKee||Nzingha Stewart||March 1, 2018|
|Seattle Firefighters Ben Warren and Andy Herrera head to Grey Sloan after rescuing two boys that are injured in a house fire. With one of the boys' lives literally in Andy's hands, her skills are put to the test. Meanwhile, the doctors are hard at work on their projects for the Grey Sloan Surgical Innovation Contest and Amelia brings Tom Koracick in to consult on her and Alex's patient.|
|307||14||"Games People Play"||Chandra Wilson||Jason Ganzel & Julie Wong||March 8, 2018|
|Maggie's relationship with Clive starts to progress, and she invites him over for a game night to meet Meredith and Amelia. Meredith and Jo meet with the owner of the patent to the polymer they need for their project, who coincidentally is a friend of the family.|
|308||15||"Old Scars, Future Hearts"||Ellen Pompeo||Tameson Duffy||March 15, 2018|
|Meredith tries to learn more about Marie Cerone’s history with her mother. Meanwhile, Jo is applying for fellowships around the country and it throws Alex for a loop, and Tom Koracick helps April acknowledge her crisis of faith.|
|309||16||"Caught Somewhere in Time"||Nicole Rubio||Jalysa Conway||March 22, 2018|
|Maggie and Jackson are enjoying spending time together, but he must turn his concentration toward the groundbreaking vaginoplasty surgery he has scheduled with Catherine and Richard. Meanwhile, Meredith and Jo hit a roadblock with their contest submission, so Jo helps Bailey with an incoming trauma patient who used to be an astronaut.|
|310||17||"One Day Like This"||Kevin McKidd||Elisabeth R. Finch||March 29, 2018|
|April's crisis of faith is challenged by a patient she treats who is a rabbi, and Meredith treats a patient who is a transplant surgeon from another hospital.|
|311||18||"Hold Back the River"||Geary McLeod||Alex Manugian||April 5, 2018|
|Amelia, Koracick and DeLuca perform a risky, groundbreaking procedure using ultrasound waves to remove a young patient’s brain tumor. Meanwhile, Meredith and Jo work with different polymers to try to salvage their project submission and Richard’s AA sponsor is admitted to Grey Sloan with a DNR.|
|312||19||"Beautiful Dreamer"||Jeannot Szwarc||Meg Marinis||April 12, 2018|
|An agent from ICE shows up at Grey Sloan in search of an employee who may be working in the U.S. under DACA. Alex's patient Kimmie wants to leave the hospital to enjoy her final days, but Alex feels differently. Meanwhile, Arizona treats Matthew Taylor's baby and April wants to do whatever she can to help.|
|313||20||"Judgment Day"||Sydney Freeland||Julie Wong||April 19, 2018|
|During presentations on Grey Sloan Surgical Innovation Prototypes Day, Arizona shares some cookies from an appreciative patient that, unbeknownst to her, contain a special ingredient. Meanwhile, Catherine reveals some shocking details to Jackson about his grandfather’s past and Jo steps in mid-operation on a major surgery after Bailey and Meredith are down for the count.|
|314||21||"Bad Reputation"||Kevin McKidd||Mark Driscoll||April 26, 2018|
|The hospital brings in crisis management to help them sort out allegations against Harper Avery. Meanwhile, Nurse Olivia shows up at Grey Sloan with her son, throwing Alex and Jo for loop, and Arizona decides to spend more time with Sofia who is having a hard time at school.|
|315||22||"Fight For Your Mind"||Jesse Williams||Andy Reaser||May 3, 2018|
|Alex and Jo go on a road trip to Iowa to find Alex’s mom, whom he hasn’t heard from in a very long time. Meanwhile, Meredith gives a presentation on her mini-livers project, which attracts a ton of attention, and Jackson works to rebuild the foundation after its reputation is threatened.|
|316||23||"Cold as Ice"||Bill D'Elia||William Harper||May 10, 2018|
|One of Grey Sloan Memorial’s own is seriously injured, making the team reflect on what is truly important to them. Meanwhile, Nicole Herman pays a visit to GSM and talks to Arizona about an exciting opportunity.|
|317||24||"All of Me"||Debbie Allen||Krista Vernoff||May 17, 2018|
|The doctors attend Alex and Jo's wedding, and things do not go as planned. Meanwhile, the stress from the past year has taken a toll on Bailey, and she will re-evaluate some of her decisions.|
The "Grey's Anatomy: Complete Fourteenth Season" boxset was released on October 25, 2018 in region 2. According to Krista Vernoff, it will not be released on DVD in region 1.
The boxset contains the 24 episodes of the season. The DVD box includes 5 discs. Other set details are:
- English (Dolby Digital Surround 5.1)
- Runtime: approximately 979 minutes
The season 14 DVD set does not include any special features.