|Grey's Anatomy Seasons|
Showrunner Krista Vernoff confirmed the season would chronicle following storylines:
- The ramifications of Meredith, Richard, and Alex's being fired and Meredith going to jail.
- The continuing love triangle between Owen, Teddy, and Tom as well as Teddy’s struggles with motherhood
- Amelia taking time to figure out who she is.
- Jo's emergence from her psychiatric treatment.
- Storylines regarding the United States' immigration policies and "broken" medical care system.
- Meredith defends her medical license.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey (10/10)
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev (8/10)
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey (9/10)
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber (10/10)
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt (9/10)
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery (9/10)
- Caterina Scorsone as Dr. Amelia Shepherd (10/10)
- Camilla Luddington as Dr. Jo Karev (9/10)
- Kelly McCreary as Dr. Maggie Pierce (10/10)
- Giacomo Gianniotti as Dr. Andrew DeLuca (9/10)
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman (8/10)
- Greg Germann as Dr. Tom Koracick (9/10)
- Jake Borelli as Dr. Levi Schmitt (9/10)
- Chris Carmack as Dr. Atticus Lincoln (8/10)
Recurring Guest Stars
- Debbie Allen as Dr. Catherine Fox (4/10)
- Barrett Doss as Victoria Hughes (4/10)
- Stefania Spampinato as Dr. Carina DeLuca (2/10)
- Cleo King as Robin (3/10)
- Sophia Ali as Dr. Dahlia Qadri (3/10)
- Alex Landi as Dr. Nico Kim (6/10)
- Devika Parikh as Nancy Klein (3/10)
- Jason George as Ben Warren (5/10)
- Jaicy Elliot as Dr. Taryn Helm (7/10)
- Jasmine Guy as Gemma Larson (4/10)
- Lisa Ann Walter as Shirley Gregory (2/10)
- Alex Blue Davis as Dr. Casey Parker (5/10)
- Mike McColl as Paul Castello (1/10)
- Omar Leyva as Luis Rivera (1/10)
- Robin Pearson Rose as Patricia Murphy (1/10)
- Ray Ford as Ray Sutera (1/10)
- Skyler Shaye as Katie Bryce (1/10)
- Miguel Sandoval as Pruitt Herrera (1/10)
- Richard Flood as Dr. Cormac Hayes (2/10)
- Grey Damon as Lieutenant Jack Gibson (1/10)
- Okieriete Onaodowan as Dean Miller (1/10)
- Richard Jin as Elliott Calhoun (2/10)
- Adriana DeGirolami as Finley Calhoun (2/10)
- Sarah Rafferty as Suzanne
Prominent Guest Stars
- Kevin Clarke as Paramedic Kevin Clarke (2/10)
- Brody Goodstadt as Derek Bailey Shepherd (2/10)
- Shannon Chappell as Angie (2/10)
- Ada Luz Pla as Carla (2/10)
- Lisa Rothschiller as Supervisor Lisa (3/10)
- Devin Way as Blake Simms (4/10)
- Jeremiah Miller as Cecil Taylor (4/10)
- Afi Ekulona as Janet Linn (2/10)
- Aniela Gumbs as Zola Grey Shepherd (3/10)
- Payton Silver as Dr. Knox (3/10)
- Vivian Nixon as Hannah Brody (4/10)
- Mona Mossayeb as Ruby Hernandez (2/10)
- Andy Cohen as Doug Miller (2/10)
- Branden Silverman as Paramedic (2/10)
- Char Sidney as Paramedic (1/10)
- Charles Maceo as K. Clarke (1/10)
- Frances Nichols as Nurse Karen (1/10)
- Allyson Juliette as Gabriella Rivera (1/10)
- Norm Nixon, Jr. as Nurse James (1/10)
- John O'Brien as Tech Jeffrey (1/10)
- Karla E. Rodriguez as O.R. Nurse (1/10)
Notes and Trivia
- The renewal for the show's sixteenth season was first somewhat confirmed on February 5, 2019. Karey Burke, President of ABC Entertainment, stated at a TCA session that the show was implicitly renewed for its sixteenth season when Ellen signed on for seasons 15 and 16. At the same time, she confirmed that they were in early conversations to keep Grey's going even beyond the sixteenth season. This renewal was made official on May 10, 2019.
- Production for this season started on July 15, 2019.
- The table read for the season premiere took place on July 25, 2019.
- A kick-off party for cast and crew took place on July 28, 2019.
- Ellen Pompeo and Giacomo Gianniotti filmed their first scene on July 29, 2019.
- This is the first season since season 10 for which ABC released promotional photos for every member of the cast.
|No. in series||No. in season||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|343||1||"Nothing Left to Cling To"||Debbie Allen||Krista Vernoff||September 26, 2019|
|Meredith, Richard, and Alex must deal with the consequences after Bailey fires them from Grey Sloan for insurance fraud. After disappearing into the fog, Jackson helps a man in a dangerous situation, as his relationship with Maggie comes to a new crossroad. Meanwhile, Tom gets new responsibilities at the hospital that throw the doctors for a loop.|
|344||2||"Back in the Saddle"||Kevin McKidd||Meg Marinis||October 3, 2019|
|The Grey Sloan doctors operate on a man who crashed into Maggie's car as Owen, back from paternity leave, struggles with Tom's new position. Outside the hospital, Meredith's recent firing doesn't stop her from diagnosing those around her. Plus, Richard and Alex start anew and it's not easy. All the while, Jo readies herself to return to work, and Amelia has a new revelation in her relationship with Link.|
|345||3||"Reunited"||Michael Medico||Andy Reaser||October 10, 2019|
|With new restrictions, Meredith tiptoes the line of protocol as she helps Jo with a difficult procedure from afar and Koracick makes things challenging for Owen at Grey Sloan. Meanwhile, a patient at the hospital is brain-dead after falling into a construction site, and her two sisters must decide whether or not to keep her alive.|
|346||4||"It's Raining Men"||Michael Watkins||Mark Driscoll||October 17, 2019|
|After Meredith inadvertently stirs up negative press for Grey Sloan, she tries to make things right with her former colleagues, jeopardizing her community service hours. Station 19's Ben and Vic bring a young woman into the hospital, and Jackson stands up to Koracick when he goes too far with a patient's family. Meanwhile, Bailey receives unexpected news and Owen finds himself at Pac-Gen North, which Alex sees as a recruiting opportunity.|
|347||5||"Breathe Again"||Chandra Wilson||Elisabeth R. Finch||October 24, 2019|
|Meredith has a court hearing after skipping out on community service, while Bailey and Jo have a patient that Jo realizes is from the treatment facility. Richard and Gemma grab breakfast together and things go awry.|
|348||6||"Whistlin' Past the Graveyard"||Pete Chatmon||Julie Wong||October 31, 2019|
|Alex is hoping to impress investors at Pac-North Gen, but when he hears disturbing news about skeletons on the construction site grounds, he enlists Richard to help with distraction tactics. Teddy feels the pressure to be super-mom after tasking herself with creating original Halloween costumes for Allison and Leo, while Meredith fears she won't make it home in time for trick-or-treating with her kids. Elsewhere, Jackson tends to a pediatric patient who is upset she is spending her Halloween in a hospital.|
|349||7||"Papa Don't Preach"||Daniel Willis||Jalysa Conway||November 7, 2019|
|Catherine is back in town and has no idea what's been going on between Jackson and Maggie, while her relationship with Richard has become distant. Owen and Amelia treat a woman who fell in the basement and quickly realize that there is more to the story and Maggie is shocked to learn about some of Richard's relatives who are seeking help.|
|350||8||"My Shot"||Debbie Allen||Meg Marinis||November 14, 2019|
|Meredith faces the medical board as her future as a doctor remains uncertain, and she's forced to reckon with her past in some challenging ways. Meanwhile, the interns are put to the test as they are each vying to be the most successful on their respective cases in the absence of some of the attendings.|
|351||9||"Let's All Go to the Bar"||Kevin McKidd||Kiley Donovan||November 21, 2019|
|Jo becomes a safe haven volunteer and gets a call that a baby has been dropped off at Station 19. Meanwhile, Meredith moves forward with her life after facing the medical board. Jackson takes a big step in his budding romance with Vic, while Bailey and Amelia swap pregnancy updates.|
|352||10||"Help Me Through the Night"||Allison Liddi-Brown||Lynne E. Litt||January 23, 2020|
|Following the car crash at Joe's bar and the subsequent rescue efforts led by the Station 19 firefighters, Grey Sloan doctors work through the night to save the lives of their colleagues. Meanwhile, Amelia worries about sharing her pregnancy revelation with Link. Owen and Teddy take a big step, and Bailey deals with grief over her recent loss.
|353||11||"A Hard Pill to Swallow"||Michael Medico||Adrian Wenner||January 30, 2020|
|Richard finds out Maggie quit Grey Sloan and is concerned about how she's handling the death of her patient who was her estranged cousin. Bailey returns to work after taking some personal time off, although Koracick doesn’t make her first day as easy as she'd like. Meanwhile, Meredith thinks she might miss DeLuca, and Amelia has an update for Link on her pregnancy.|
|354||12||"The Last Supper"||Nicole Rubio||Jason Ganzel||February 6, 2020|
|Jackson creates an uncomfortable situation when he invites new girlfriend, Vic, to what he thinks is Richard and Catherine's anniversary celebration, only to discover the dinner was called for different reasons. Elsewhere, Levi brings Nico on a trip to visit an ailing family member.|
|355||13||"Save the Last Dance for Me"||Jesse Williams||February 13, 2020|
|356||14||"16.14"||February 20, 2020|
|356||15||"16.15"||February 27, 2020|
|This page or section may contain spoilers about episodes that haven't yet aired in the US.|
- On August 6, 2019, filming took place at Masters University and a nearby location. The scenes include no loud noises or special effects.
- With Krista Vernoff now helming both shows, the worlds will blend more together. While ABC's entertainment president Karey Burke had previously stated that there would be "weekly cross-overs", she later re-iterated that statement and said that there will likely be only 3 to 4 real cross-over events peppered throughout the season.
- It was later confirmed that there will be four big crossover events aside from characters crossing over at random.
- On August 8, 2019, TVLine announced that Krista Vernoff had informed them that she was trying to get a former main cast member back for an appearance this season, but she didn't share who it was or for how many episodes.
- It was later confirmed that the alum is not Katherine Heigl.
- A few weeks later, it was announced that the deal didn't work out.
- Krista later shared in an interview that the standalone episodes of the season would be shaped more like One Day Like This so that the episodes feel more coherent to the rest of the season while maintaining the focus on one or more characters.
- One of the standalone episodes this will revolve around Teddy Altman.
- As has been for the past two seasons, the crew and select cast travelled to Seattle to film scenes on location that will be spread throughout the season. The following people have been confirmed to be in Seattle: Debbie Allen, Kevin McKidd, Krista Vernoff, Ellen Pompeo, Jake Borelli, Giacomo Gianniotti, Jason Ganzel, and Linda Klein.
Cast Promotional Photos
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.