|Grey's Anatomy Seasons|
The sixteenth season of Grey's Anatomy premiered September 26, 2019. The first part of the season was broadcast on Thursday nights at 8 PM on ABC. After the mid-season break, it began to air at 9 PM after Station 19. The season was scheduled to consist of 25 episodes but the coronavirus outbreak forced production to shut down after filming on episode 21 wrapped, which led to it becoming the season finale as it was decided production would not resume.
Showrunner Krista Vernoff confirmed the season would chronicle following storylines:
- The ramifications of Meredith, Richard, and Alex's being fired and Meredith going to jail.
- The continuing love triangle between Owen, Teddy, and Tom as well as Teddy’s struggles with motherhood
- Amelia taking time to figure out who she is.
- Jo's emergence from her psychiatric treatment.
- Storylines regarding the United States' immigration policies and "broken" medical care system.
- Meredith defends her medical license.
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey (21/21) (1 voice only)
- Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev (9/21) (1 voice only) (until Leave a Light On)
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey (19/21)
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber (21/21)
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt (17/21)
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery (19/21)
- Caterina Scorsone as Dr. Amelia Shepherd (17/21)
- Camilla Luddington as Dr. Jo Karev (18/21)
- Kelly McCreary as Dr. Maggie Pierce (20/21)
- Giacomo Gianniotti as Dr. Andrew DeLuca (17/21)
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman (15/21)
- Greg Germann as Dr. Tom Koracick (16/21)
- Jake Borelli as Dr. Levi Schmitt (17/21)
- Chris Carmack as Dr. Atticus Lincoln (17/21)
Recurring Guest Stars
- Debbie Allen as Dr. Catherine Fox (10/21) (1 voice only)
- Barrett Doss as Victoria Hughes (7/21)
- Stefania Spampinato as Dr. Carina DeLuca (6/21)
- Cleo King as Robin (3/21)
- Sophia Ali as Dr. Dahlia Qadri (3/21)
- Alex Landi as Dr. Nico Kim (11/21)
- Devika Parikh as Nancy Klein (3/21)
- Jason George as Ben Warren (10/21)
- Jaicy Elliot as Dr. Taryn Helm (13/21)
- Jasmine Guy as Gemma Larson (4/21)
- Lisa Ann Walter as Shirley Gregory (2/21)
- Alex Blue Davis as Dr. Casey Parker (5/21)
- Bess Armstrong as Maureen Lincoln (1/21)
- Granville Ames as Eric Lincoln (1/21)
- Mike McColl as Paul Castello (1/21)
- Omar Leyva as Luis Rivera (1/21)
- Robin Pearson Rose as Patricia Murphy (1/21)
- Ray Ford as Ray Sutera (1/21)
- Skyler Shaye as Katie Bryce (1/21)
- Miguel Sandoval as Pruitt Herrera (1/21)
- Richard Flood as Dr. Cormac Hayes (9/21)
- Grey Damon as Lieutenant Jack Gibson (1/21)
- Okieriete Onaodowan as Dean Miller (2/21)
- Richard Jin as Elliott Calhoun (2/21)
- Adriana DeGirolami as Finley Calhoun (2/21)
- Sarah Rafferty as Suzanne Britland (3/21)
- Lindy Booth as Hadley (3/21)
- Michelle Gardner as Myrna Schmitt (1/21)
- Shoshannah Stern as Dr. Lauren Riley (2/21)
- Danielle Savre as Maya Bishop (1/21)
- Heather McComb as Rachel Burke (1/21)
- BJ Tanner as William George Bailey Jones (2/21)
- Sherri Saum as Allison Robin Brown (1/21)
- Debra Mooney as Evelyn Hunt (1/21)
Prominent Guest Stars
- Kevin Clarke as Paramedic Kevin Clarke (3/21)
- Brody Goodstadt as Derek Bailey Shepherd (2/21)
- Shannon Chappell as Angie (2/21)
- Ada Luz Pla as Carla (2/21)
- Lisa Rothschiller as Supervisor Lisa (3/21)
- Devin Way as Blake Simms (7/21)
- Jeremiah Miller as Cecil Taylor (4/21)
- Afi Ekulona as Janet Linn (3/21)
- Aniela Gumbs as Zola Grey Shepherd (4/21)
- Payton Silver as Dr. Knox (6/21)
- Vivian Nixon as Hannah Brody (7/21)
- Mona Mossayeb as Ruby Hernandez (2/21)
- Andy Cohen as Doug Miller (3/21)
- Branden Silverman as Paramedic (3/21)
- Char Sidney as Paramedic (1/21)
- Charles Maceo as K. Clarke (1/21)
- Frances Nichols as Nurse Karen (4/21)
- Allyson Juliette as Gabriella Rivera (1/21)
- Norm Nixon, Jr. as Nurse James (3/21)
- Zaiver Sinnett as Zander Perez (2/21)
- John O'Brien as Tech Jeffrey (2/21)
- Karla E. Rodriguez as O.R. Nurse (1/21)
- Ava DeVoe as Matty Britland (3/21)
- Mia Lynn Bangunan as Mei Li Britland (2/21)
- Noah Alexander Gerry as Joey Phillips (4/21)
- Sylvia Kwan as Mabel Tseng (4/21)
- Nicolas Hedges as Liam Hayes (2/21)
- Jayden Haynes-Starr as Austin Hayes (2/21)
- Karri Aiken as Mary Powers (2/21)
- Toby Grey as Ernie (1/21)
- Cameron Gayden as Frank (1/21)
- Lily Fisher as Sarah (1/21)
- Rueben Grundy as Jake (1/21)
- Olivia-Diane Joseph as Nurse Liv (1/21)
- BokHee An as BokHee (1/21)
- Allie Doke as Erin Banks (1/21)
- Christina Webber as Cynthia Cole (1/21)
Notes and Trivia
- The renewal for the show's sixteenth season was first somewhat confirmed on February 5, 2019. Karey Burke, President of ABC Entertainment, stated at a TCA session that the show was implicitly renewed for its sixteenth season when Ellen signed on for seasons 15 and 16. At the same time, she confirmed that they were in early conversations to keep Grey's going even beyond the sixteenth season. This renewal was made official on May 10, 2019.
- Production for this season started on July 15, 2019.
- The table read for the season premiere took place on July 25, 2019.
- A kick-off party for cast and crew took place on July 28, 2019.
- Ellen Pompeo and Giacomo Gianniotti filmed their first scene on July 29, 2019.
- This is the first season since season 10 for which ABC released promotional photos for every member of the cast.
- The season heavily features crossovers with Station 19's third season.
- As such, Barrett Doss, Miguel Sandoval, Grey Damon, and Danielle Savre make their first appearance as their Station 19 characters on Grey's Anatomy. Out of those, only Barrett makes multiple appearances.
- Jason George recurs throughout the season. Okieriete Onaodowan makes one appearance, also having appeared on the show's fifteenth season.
- Jay Hayden filmed multiple scenes for Grey's Anatomy but they always ended up being cut for time.
- Jaina Lee Ortiz and Boris Kodjoe do not appear this season but they have appeared on Grey's Anatomy before in its fourteenth and/or fifteenth season.
- On March 12, 2020, it was announced that due to concerns about the coronavirus pandemic, production had been shut down. This hiatus in filming came after the completion of episode 16.21 and was expected to last at least two weeks.
- On March 27, 2020, ABC announced that it would not resume production on season 16 and the finished 21st episode would act as the season's final episode.
- This decision makes season sixteen the fourth shortest season of the series, only behind season one with 9 episodes, season four with 17 episodes and season seventeen with 17 episodes.
- It also makes this the only season not to end in May.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, Krista Vernoff tweeted what each of a few characters would say in response.
- Meredith said, "I get that you're bored. I get that you're sick of this. I get that you’re at the point where you’re just throwing the dirty dishes out the window. I get it. But I am in this hospital EVERY DAY fighting for people's LIVES while risking my own. I want to see my kids again! I want to be able to hug them! The very LEAST you can do is STAY. HOME. ...Seriously. I mean it. Stay home."
- Bailey said, "What is the matter with you?? You went out into the street? Without a mask?? Without even a bandana tied around your face? What— Are you— ? Do you UNDERSTAND that you can have this disease and not have any symptoms? Do you understand that with every exhale you are potentially risking the lives of someone's mother? Someone's grandmother? Someone's father, someone's sister, someone's brother, someone's child someone's...someone? You could HAVE the VIRUS and not KNOW it! I don't care that you like to go jogging without a mask! I like to do a lot of things I can't do right now! I don't care that it fogs up your glasses! Is the mask literally killing you? No? Then put it ON."
- Amelia said, "I just pushed a whole human person out of a not very large hole in my body. That human person is... he's perfect. He is love. He has redefined my entire being. The ONLY thing I want to do is curl up in bed with that tiny perfect human and hold him like my life depends on it. But I am here. I am here at the hospital because I am needed, because I am a doctor, because I know how to save lives and that obligates me to do it. It is unimaginable to me that there are people on this planet who are going out without masks, without social distancing, in "protest" risking their own lives and everyone else's lives while I am here trying to save lives instead of at home with that tiny perfect creature sleeping on my chest. It is. Unimaginable. I can't even imagine it. And I don't want to believe it."
- Maggie said, "You're kidding, right? Are they REALLY THAT STUPID? What is the MATTER with people? Do they not understand that this is a virus? Do they not understand that the virus doesn't care who they are or what they want or who they voted for for president or what color hat they're wearing? The virus doesn’t care about anything. The virus will just infect you and kill you. And then it will infect and kill the people you love. Whether you believe in it or not. Do they really not get that?? Or do they just not care?"
- Meredith Grey narrates all the voice overs this season with the exception for Love of My Life, which was narrated by Richard Webber.
|No. in series||No. in season||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|343||1||"Nothing Left to Cling To"||Debbie Allen||Krista Vernoff||September 26, 2019|
|Meredith, Richard, and Alex must deal with the consequences after Bailey fires them from Grey Sloan for insurance fraud. After disappearing into the fog, Jackson helps a man in a dangerous situation, as his relationship with Maggie comes to a new crossroad. Meanwhile, Tom gets new responsibilities at the hospital that throw the doctors for a loop.|
|344||2||"Back in the Saddle"||Kevin McKidd||Meg Marinis||October 3, 2019|
|The Grey Sloan doctors operate on a man who crashed into Maggie's car as Owen, back from paternity leave, struggles with Tom's new position. Outside the hospital, Meredith's recent firing doesn't stop her from diagnosing those around her. Plus, Richard and Alex start anew and it's not easy. All the while, Jo readies herself to return to work, and Amelia has a new revelation in her relationship with Link.|
|345||3||"Reunited"||Michael Medico||Andy Reaser||October 10, 2019|
|With new restrictions, Meredith tiptoes the line of protocol as she helps Jo with a difficult procedure from afar and Koracick makes things challenging for Owen at Grey Sloan. Meanwhile, a patient at the hospital is brain-dead after falling into a construction site, and her two sisters must decide whether or not to keep her alive.|
|346||4||"It's Raining Men"||Michael Watkins||Mark Driscoll||October 17, 2019|
|After Meredith inadvertently stirs up negative press for Grey Sloan, she tries to make things right with her former colleagues, jeopardizing her community service hours. Station 19's Ben and Vic bring a young woman into the hospital, and Jackson stands up to Koracick when he goes too far with a patient's family. Meanwhile, Bailey receives unexpected news and Owen finds himself at Pac-Gen North, which Alex sees as a recruiting opportunity.|
|347||5||"Breathe Again"||Chandra Wilson||Elisabeth R. Finch||October 24, 2019|
|Meredith has a court hearing after skipping out on community service, while Bailey and Jo have a patient that Jo realizes is from the treatment facility. Richard and Gemma grab breakfast together and things go awry.|
|348||6||"Whistlin' Past the Graveyard"||Pete Chatmon||Julie Wong||October 31, 2019|
|Alex is hoping to impress investors at Pac-North Gen, but when he hears disturbing news about skeletons on the construction site grounds, he enlists Richard to help with distraction tactics. Teddy feels the pressure to be super-mom after tasking herself with creating original Halloween costumes for Allison and Leo, while Meredith fears she won't make it home in time for trick-or-treating with her kids. Elsewhere, Jackson tends to a pediatric patient who is upset she is spending her Halloween in a hospital.|
|349||7||"Papa Don't Preach"||Daniel Willis||Jalysa Conway||November 7, 2019|
|Catherine is back in town and has no idea what's been going on between Jackson and Maggie, while her relationship with Richard has become distant. Owen and Amelia treat a woman who fell in the basement and quickly realize that there is more to the story and Maggie is shocked to learn about some of Richard's relatives who are seeking help.|
|350||8||"My Shot"||Debbie Allen||Meg Marinis||November 14, 2019|
|Meredith faces the medical board as her future as a doctor remains uncertain, and she's forced to reckon with her past in some challenging ways. Meanwhile, the interns are put to the test as they are each vying to be the most successful on their respective cases in the absence of some of the attendings.|
|351||9||"Let's All Go to the Bar"||Kevin McKidd||Kiley Donovan||November 21, 2019|
|Jo becomes a safe haven volunteer and gets a call that a baby has been dropped off at Station 19. Meanwhile, Meredith moves forward with her life after facing the medical board. Jackson takes a big step in his budding romance with Vic, while Bailey and Amelia swap pregnancy updates.|
|352||10||"Help Me Through the Night"||Allison Liddi-Brown||Lynne E. Litt||January 23, 2020|
|Following the car crash at Joe's bar and the subsequent rescue efforts led by the Station 19 firefighters, Grey Sloan doctors work through the night to save the lives of their colleagues. Meanwhile, Amelia worries about sharing her pregnancy revelation with Link. Owen and Teddy take a big step, and Bailey deals with grief over her recent loss.
|353||11||"A Hard Pill to Swallow"||Michael Medico||Adrian Wenner||January 30, 2020|
|Richard finds out Maggie quit Grey Sloan and is concerned about how she's handling the death of her patient who was her estranged cousin. Bailey returns to work after taking some personal time off, although Koracick doesn’t make her first day as easy as she'd like. Meanwhile, Meredith thinks she might miss DeLuca, and Amelia has an update for Link on her pregnancy.|
|354||12||"The Last Supper"||Nicole Rubio||Jason Ganzel||February 6, 2020|
|Jackson creates an uncomfortable situation when he invites new girlfriend, Vic, to what he thinks is Richard and Catherine's anniversary celebration, only to discover the dinner was called for different reasons. Elsewhere, Levi brings Nico on a trip to visit an ailing family member.|
|355||13||"Save the Last Dance for Me"||Jesse Williams||Tameson Duffy||February 13, 2020|
|DeLuca can't figure out what's going on with his incurable patient Suzanne and he turns to a diagnostics genius, Dr. Riley from UCSF, for help. Bailey checks in on Joey, a foster kid that Ben brought into Grey Sloan. Meanwhile, Amelia is getting the results of her paternity test and Jo confronts her about how she is treating Link.|
|356||14||"A Diagnosis"||Greg Evans||Julie Wong||February 20, 2020|
|DeLuca is irritated after Meredith takes over his patient Suzanne whose symptoms continue to stump the doctors at Grey Sloan. Elsewhere in the hospital, Jackson, Owen and Jo work on a couple injured in a bear attack and Levi is hurt when Nico doesn’t want him to meet his parents.|
|357||15||"Snowblind"||Linda Klein||Meg Marinis||February 27, 2020|
|Meredith and Carina question DeLuca's uncharacteristic behavior when he volunteers to perform a life-threatening task during a blizzard. Meanwhile, Bailey tries to help Joey with his future, while Richard trains a new intern at the hospital.|
|358||16||"Leave a Light On"||Debbie Allen||Elisabeth Finch||March 5, 2020|
|Bailey and Ben face a huge, life-altering decision. Meredith and several of the doctors reflect on the past.|
|359||17||"Life on Mars?"||Michael Watkins||Jase Miles-Perez||March 12, 2020|
|A wealthy inventor arrives at Grey Sloan and asks Koracick for help, while Meredith struggles to save a woman with diabetes who has been rationing her insulin. Jo and Link fight to save a young man who fell onto train tracks, and Jackson and Vic's relationship hits a snag.|
|360||18||"Give a Little Bit"||Kevin McKidd||Zoanne Clack||March 19, 2020|
|Meredith heads up a pro bono surgery day, but the overwhelming patient response causes her to struggle to keep things in order. DeLuca treats a teenage patient whom he suspects is in danger and desperately tries to get Bailey to support his theory.|
|361||19||"Love of My Life"||Allison Liddi-Brown||Kiley Donovan
|March 26, 2020|
|Richard preps to present his PATH pen at the LA Surgical Innovation Conference but becomes distracted by his issues with Catherine. Maggie and Teddy run into people from their past at the same conference, while Hayes relives moments from when he met his late wife.|
|362||20||"Sing It Again"||Michael Watkins||Jess Righthand||April 2, 2020|
|Owen and Link treat an older woman who wakes up from surgery and can't stop singing, while Teddy helps Koracick stay afloat after an estranged loved one from his past comes to the hospital looking for help. Meredith, Bailey and Maggie focus their efforts on a difficult patient with a tricky diagnosis.|
|363||21||"Put on a Happy Face"||Deborah M. Pratt||Mark Driscoll
|April 9, 2020|
|Link tries to convince Amelia to take it easy during the final stage of her pregnancy. Hayes asks Meredith a surprising question. Owen makes a shocking discovery.|
The "Grey's Anatomy: The Complete Sixteenth Season" boxset was released in 2020 in region 2.
- Set Details
The boxset contains the 21 episodes of the season. The DVD box includes 6 discs. Other set details are:
- English (Dolby Digital Surround 5.1)
- Runtime: approximately 860 minutes
- Special Features
The season 16 DVD set does not include any special features.