|Grey's Anatomy Seasons|
- Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey (6/6)
- Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey (6/6)
- James Pickens, Jr. as Dr. Richard Webber (6/6)
- Kevin McKidd as Dr. Owen Hunt (6/6)
- Jesse Williams as Dr. Jackson Avery (6/6)
- Caterina Scorsone as Dr. Amelia Shepherd (5/6)
- Camilla Luddington as Dr. Jo Wilson (6/6)
- Kelly McCreary as Dr. Maggie Pierce (6/6)
- Giacomo Gianniotti as Dr. Andrew DeLuca (6/6)
- Kim Raver as Dr. Teddy Altman (6/6)
- Greg Germann as Dr. Tom Koracick (6/6)
- Jake Borelli as Dr. Levi Schmitt (6/6)
- Chris Carmack as Dr. Atticus Lincoln (4/6)
- Richard Flood as Dr. Cormac Hayes (3/6)
- Anthony Hill as Dr. Winston Ndugu (5/6)
Recurring Guest Stars
- Jason George as Dr. Ben Warren (2/6)
- Grey Damon as Lieutenant Jack Gibson (1/6)
- Barrett Doss as Victoria Hughes (1/6)
- Jay Hayden as Travis Montgomery (2/6)
- Okieriete Onaodowan as Dean Miller (1/6)
- Danielle Savre as Captain Maya Bishop (1/6)
- Stefania Spampinato as Dr. Carina DeLuca (3/6)
- Jaicy Elliot as Dr. Taryn Helm (5/6)
- Alex Landi as Dr. Nico Kim (3/6)
- Linda Park as Deborah Lee (2/6)
- Louis Ozawa as Steve Lee (2/6)
- TJ Thyne as Aaron Morris (2/6)
- BJ Tanner as William George Bailey Jones (1/6)
- V. Vieux as Rosalind Warren (1/6)
- Debbie Allen as Dr. Catherine Fox (1/6)
- Justin Ellings as Frankie Morris (1/6)
- Patrick Dempsey as Dr. Derek Shepherd (2/6)
- Mackenzie Marsh as Val Ashton (2/6)
- Melissa DuPrey as Dr. Sara Ortiz (2/6)
- Robert I. Mesa as Dr. James Chee (1/6)
- Nikhil Shukla as Dr. Reza Khan (2/6)
- Lisa Vidal as Dr. Alma Ortiz (1/6)
- T.R. Knight as Dr. George O'Malley (1/6)
- Frankie Faison as William Bailey (1/6)
- Bianca F. Taylor as Elena Bailey (1/6)
- Stephanie Kurtzuba as Opal (1/6)
- Michael Patrick McGill as Bob Corson (1/6)
- Dionne Audain as Sharon (1/6)
- Sophina Brown as Joyce Williams (1/6)
- Makayla Lysiak as Jada Williams (1/6)
- Yindra Zayas as Shanice (1/6)
Prominent Guest Stars
- Noah Alexander Gerry as Joey Phillips (1/6)
- Aniela Gumbs as Zola (1/6)
- Frances Nichols as Nurse Karen (3/6)
- Zaiver Sinnett as Zander Perez (2/6)
- Allie Doke as Erin Banks (1/6)
- Sylvia Kwan as Mabel Tseng (3/6)
- Paul Syre as Kayden Lee (2/6)
- Branden Silverman as Paramedic (1/6)
- Brody Goodstadt & Ryder Goodstadt as Bailey (1/6)
- Olivia-Diane Joseph as Nurse Liv (1/6)
- Kevin Clarke as Paramedic (1/6)
- Norm Nixon, Jr. as Nurse James (1/6)
Notes and Trivia
- The series was officially renewed for season seventeen on May 10, 2019, before the fifteenth season finished airing. This marks the first time in its history that the show was renewed for two seasons at once.
- As of this season, Ellen Pompeo, Chandra Wilson, and James Pickens, Jr. are the only remaining original cast members.
- The table read for the first episode took place on September 3, 2020. Filming started September 8, 2020.
Impact of COVID-19
As showrunner, Krista Vernoff was tasked with deciding if the season would tackle the pandemic or not. She ended up deciding not to include it, figuring that there was pandemic fatigue amongst the audience and that people would turn on their television for a sense of escapism. She gathered her writers' room and challenged them to change her mind. The doctors in the room were most persuasive and convinced her that they had a responsibility to depict this pandemic because it was changing the face of medicine forever and that it was the biggest medical storyline of their lifetimes. They then invited their medical advisors to come in and talk to them about how they were experiencing the pandemic.
As was the case with all shows for the 2020-21 television season, production of the season was heavily impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.
- There were numerous meetings with unions, epidemiologists and health and safety experts to find ways to bring everyone back safely.
- Actors on the show were tested for COVID-19 three times per week.
- They stopped using paper scripts and instead used iPads.
- Different stations were separated by plexiglass divisions in the hair and makeup trailer, where talking was not allowed since applying the makeup required the actors to take their face masks off.
- Costumes, including scrubs, were delivered to the actors' trailers in plastic bags so people working in the costume department didn't actually have to touch the costumes.
- Actors' chairs in the green room, where they kill time in between shooting scenes, were separated in their own zones. Eating also wasn't allowed in the green room anymore.
- Rehearsals had to be repeated five times because of social distancing. Rather than gathering the entire crew for the first rehearsal, it had to be repeated for smaller fractions of crew members. After calling cut, only department at a time could come in and do their part, making for a turnaround of 15 minutes rather than the usual 2 minutes.
- The writers were forced to re-examine their scripts and decide on which scenes would end up being cut in the editing process, which they then eliminated from the script to avoid unnecessary filming time. They also made sure to write longer scenes so the episodes had fewer scenes to film as well as limit the number of people in a scene. That led to the decision to not include all series regulars in all episodes.
- Prior to the pandemic, they used to work 12-hour days minimum. During the pandemic, they did ten 10-hour days with a lot of wait time and turnarounds.
|No. in series||No. in season||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|364||1||"All Tomorrow's Parties"||Debbie Allen||Andy Reaser & Lynne E. Litt||November 12, 2020|
|In the midst of the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, Grey Sloan Memorial and its surgeons' lives have been turned upside down. The season 17 premiere picks up one month into the pandemic, and it's all-hands-on-deck as Meredith, Bailey and the rest of the Grey Sloan doctors find themselves on the frontlines of a new era. Meanwhile, an unintentionally started fire has first responders from Station 19 bringing patients into the hospital for treatment.
|365||2||"The Center Won't Hold"||Debbie Allen||Andy Reaser & Jase Miles-Perez||November 12, 2020|
|Bailey finds herself in the middle of an argument with patients' families as they await news about their children who were injured in a fire. Winston surprises Maggie, and Amelia and Link try to have some fun as new parents. Teddy learns her colleagues know more than she may like about her relationship woes with Owen, and Richard and Koracick go at it.|
|366||3||"My Happy Ending"||Kevin McKidd||Meg Marinis||November 19, 2020|
|The Grey Sloan doctors continue to face their new COVID-19 reality and deal with a familiar and stubborn patient. Koracick is put in charge of the interns who recently joined the hospital ranks and Link operates on a sex therapist. Elsewhere, Maggie finds comfort in Winston's virtual presence.|
|367||4||"You'll Never Walk Alone"||Allison Liddi-Brown||Julie Wong||December 3, 2020|
|Owen faces a medical diagnosis that challenges more than he imagined. Meanwhile, Koracick begins to go stir crazy and Maggie gets a not-so-subtle glimpse into Winston's background.|
|368||5||"Fight the Power"||Michael Watkins||Zoanne Clack||December 10, 2020|
|Bailey panics as she hears there has been a surge of COVID-19 cases, knowing she has loved ones in an assisted living facility. Meanwhile, Jackson and Richard team up against Catherine to teach her a lesson, and Teddy continues to try to mend her frayed relationships. After an intense surgery, Jo is uncertain about her future.|
|369||6||"No Time for Despair"||Pete Chatmon||Felicia Pride||December 17, 2020|
|Grey Sloan Memorial faces new pressures as Seattle Pres is overloaded, and Grey Sloan Memorial is now on surge capacity protocol. Meanwhile, Owen and Amelia are faced with one of the most controversial surgeries of their careers.|
|370||7||"17.07"||March 11, 2021|
|This page or section may contain spoilers about episodes that haven't yet aired in the US.|
- It is highly likely that the Black Lives Matter movement will feature in prominent storylines.
- After his surprise return at the end of the second episode, Patrick Dempsey will appear in three more episodes. All of those appearances will be part of the beach motif with Meredith that will recur throughout the season.
- Mackenzie Marsh will recur as Val Ashton, an intelligent woman who works in publishing. She has a fun-loving sense of humor, but is extremely lonely.